Floyd change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd change

The licensed Jackson Dk2 floyd that I have in my Kelly wont stay in tune for a minute if I try to use it so I have it locked down. It works fine that way but of course, I can't use it now. When this floyd was on it's original guitar, a Dk2 it had the same problem so I don't think that the change of hardware between the guitars did cause this. Now, when I have the money I want a new one, preferably made by Floyd Rose or Schaller. Or just whatever you recommend.

And now the question: What will fit in my guitar, what do you recommend that I buy and where from? I will use this floyd for some heavy wanking Slayer stuff so it has to be durable.
    Would I be able to fit a Kahler into that thing? ( a Jackson Pro Std kelly from about 1995 with a Dk2 neck)

The color has to be chrome btw
    SACRILEGE

Guitars: Jackson King V, Jackson Kelly, Jackson DXMG, Jackson DK2M, Squier Stratocaster MIJ '85 and B.C Rich Whitelock
    Amps: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100 and Peavey Windsor halfstacks.

schaller....
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

ive heard schallers are a helluva lot smoother than normal floyds.. is this true?

Comment

Well, you have people that like this or that because. if its routed I would do a schaller, if not a floyd. but that just me. in those terms they are the same.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Get an OFR and an R3 nut, and have the neck's locking nut shelf routed deeper for the OFR nut. That's what I'd do. :dunno:

Comment

I hope this isn't a stupid question...but if you change the trem, what's the need for changing the nut? Couldn't you keep the existing nut?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
              I hope this isn't a stupid question...but if you change the trem, what's the need for changing the nut? Couldn't you keep the existing nut?
              yea, majn is talk about nut conversion. on a newer ones like the kelly std just drop a schaller trem in and go. but if you need a new nut, the ones that come with the kits will be to high and require the shelf to be routed.

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the answers. Now, where do you recomend buying a OFR from? And will I have to route the nut deeper for a new one?
                And are your guys sure that I can just put a Ofr in it with no trouble? No need to do anything but raplace?
                SACRILEGE

Guitars: Jackson King V, Jackson Kelly, Jackson DXMG, Jackson DK2M, Squier Stratocaster MIJ '85 and B.C Rich Whitelock
                Amps: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100 and Peavey Windsor halfstacks.

Comment

Yeah, you can use the existing nut. I don't like the import nuts because you can't find exact replacements too easily and they're not made from good hardened tool steel like the real Floyd/Schaller nuts are, but if the one you have is not slipping then there's no reason to have to change it.

Comment

I won't say you just "drop in" the new Floyd and go but it's as close as anything will be aside from another tremolo just like the one you already have, which... Why bother.

You can get a Floyd from prorockgear.com or gpdusa.com - I have dealt with both of them.

You will need to have the shelf routed if you decide to use the new nut. Otherwise, you leave the nut you have in place.

Comment

Where in this chart is my dk2 neck?

http://www.prorockgear.com/specs/SPE...UTS%201-10.htm

I dont know anything about those measurements
                      SACRILEGE

Comment

R3 nut, 32mm tremolo block is what you need. You probably have to buy the tremolo block separately.

Comment

I'm wondering why it won't stay in tune? Is the nut tight? maybe worn locking pads?
                          I know this will sound dumb but make sure the saddles on the bridge are tight and not slipping.
                          Are you cutting the ball ends off the strings and locking them in the right way?
                          Most any double locking trem will stay in tune.
                          Try new springs maybe.
                          You wouldn't believe what people do to guitars and complain that they wont stay in tune.I see em' everyday.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have no idea, what the problem is :/ I have tried it numerous times and it just wont hold tune for one dive bomb. My Dxmg holds perfect tune and even when I go into a Slayer madness chapter in a song by my band. So I do know how to set um a floyd properly, but this one must be broken or something. Its pretty wierd.
                            SACRILEGE

Comment

Working...
                            X