Setting up guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up guitar

Do you guys like to set up your own guitars, or do you rather take it in? I used to mess around with my old guitars, truss and bridge action, and intonation even. I got really comfortable with it.

But I always found it tedious, and it took me multiple hours to restring, check the truss rod, wait 15min, check the bridge action, etc, etc,...

So what do you guys like doing?

I was going to get the book "How to make your electric guitar play great", I think thats the name, but I might just take it in to a local shop sometime this week.

If it takes you that much time and effort you probably don't know how to set it up, get the book. Here's why you should maintain your own guitars:

it makes you more tech savy
    it saves you money AND time
    it's your guitar, only you can ensure the right set up
    you can be proud of your abilities to do the right set up
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I used to bring my guitars to local tech who became a freinds and would let me hang out and watch him work. Then i learned enough watchin him to do my own guitars. I made a few mistakes and broke a few things. But everything has a learning curve. You don't really learn how to do it in the practical sense without actually doin it. Yeah mistakes will be made. And things will get broken. If you like workin on your own guitars then do it. If ya screw something up and cant get it right. Ask us. We can help. Or take it to a tech you trust. The books are really good too. especially the Dan Erlywine ones.
      Gil
      Last edited by JACKSONFREAK; 09-09-2010, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I got tired of paying to get work done so I got online and read a lot and bought Dan Erlewine's books.
        Luckily landed a guitar tech job and my boss taught me a lot too.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Interesting. I'm going to buy that book. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

I do like setting up my own guitars. I even like setting up other people's guitars.
            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I have both books. Education is always good.

Comment

Do your own set ups! It's way to expersive to take your guitars to a tech every time. The book you mentioned is great and there is alot of useful info on the internet. Lots of good set up videos and tips on Youtube.

Comment

i just grab my allen keys and trussrod wrench and make adustments until I am satisfied with the action, its not exactly rocket science

Comment

I only have a tech set up my guitars when I have my pickups changed or have a repair done. I don't change string guages either.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                      If it takes you that much time and effort you probably don't know how to set it up, get the book. Here's why you should maintain your own guitars:

it makes you more tech savy
                      it saves you money AND time
                      it's your guitar, only you can ensure the right set up
                      you can be proud of your abilities to do the right set up
                      What he said.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        What he said.
                        Remeber though... you and I can't give advice when it comes to this because we don't actually know if we have been doing it properly.
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                          Remeber though... you and I can't give advice when it comes to this because we don't actually know if we have been doing it properly.
                          Yeah, I sure wish an expert could tell me if I'm setting my guitar up right for me. :dunno:

Comment

It's crazy because I've actually met guys that don't change their own strings and they've been playing for 20 years (not rock stars - obviously - if I was a rock star I wouldn't change my own strings either).

I do the following:

Setup
                            - String changes
                            - Trem adjustment
                            - Intonation
                            - Truss rod adjustment
                            - nut work
                            - Fret polish
                            - Fingerboard cleaning, oiling, polishing

Hardware
                            - Change tuners
                            - Change other parts and stuff - like installing different Floyds or putting guitars together

Electronics
                            - Pickup changes, switching options all that (and no - not just clipping out the tone pot - although I do that too)

I can do, but choose not to
                            - Nut install (traditional) you know, sizing, cutting string slots etc

I choose to have done for me:
                            - Routing (because I'm dangerous with a dremel and actually all wood working tools)
                            - Fretwork - level & crown & refret - this is something I'm sure I could do, but time, effort and tools cost more than just bringing it in - even a high NYC prices.
                            - Finishing

I've never had to do
                            - Major repairs - headstocks, necks, body cracks
                            - I feel fairly confident I can squirt glue out of a turkey baster - but then again - would I want to?
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                              Yeah, I sure wish an expert could tell me if I'm setting my guitar up right for me. :dunno:
                              Nope - you're doing it all wrong. I don't know why people on this forum are pandering to your setup abilities, Jazzy, but I'm telling it like it is - you're setups are shit for the way you play. Its like a ten year old just found a set of allen wrenches and is banging them around the bridge and the nut looking for the right hole to stick them in.

-------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X