38k Pots in a Fusion pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38k Pots in a Fusion pro?

Just got the fusion pro in a trade and was about to swap the pots out when i realized they say 38k on them. Now it didn't sound bad or anything, just the wiring was mangled and it had a vintage styly strat 3 way(where only one pickup is on at a time) and i have a set of CTS pots sitting here. Aren't 38k pots for active pickups?
    It's pronounced soops

A Fusion Pro comes with active stuff - JE-1500.

Did someone yank it out?

Comment

Yup the mid sweep was yanked and the wiring was butchered.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Well, I think they used 50K ohm pots as stock. Once in a pinch I used an EMG 25K ohm pot and couldn't tell the difference. I never heard of a 38 K ohm pot, but it shouldn't matter if the active circuit is installed, that's "close" enough.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

read my post above........active circuit was ripped out before i got it. Why would i have 2 38 k pots in this guitar. I couldn't tell a difference but it also didn't sound like it had any push like it should.
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

but it shouldn't matter if the active circuit is installed( I think he means if it is or is not installed? )But that really has nothing to do with what you are doing, you can use the new pots for what you are doing.
            Last edited by john.w.lawson; 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM.
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Rewire DONE! and dont really like the screamin demon......
              Last edited by 84sups; 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

I did read your post dude. You can use any pot value you like, there are no rules. Why would someone install 38K ohm pots with passive pickups? Hell if I know. I'd use 500 K ohm pots myself, and some would recommend 250K ohm for tone controls. I was just saying that originally they used a 50K ohm pot, so likely someone replaced the original with that value, but also removed the active circuit. That's all.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I'd replace the pots before I made any final decisions about the pickups. I figure you must be losing a lot of your higher frequencies with 38k pots in a passive setup.

Comment

I completely rewired the guitar and have had a Scremin demon in a guiter before and didn't like it. IDK the sreamin demon just doesn't sound good at all to me, too much high's maybe. It sounded "ok" with the old pots but the selector switch was an old style 3 way where only one pickup was on at a time, like a 50s strat. The j200s sound really cool though, but i might changed out the tone controls for 250k's to drop some of the highs out of em.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

looks really good ! when I took off the back plate to move the switch it scared me : ) but like I said it sounded "OK" so I did not mess with it.Now if I could do wire jobs like that it might be a different story. good job once again, from someone that saw it before.
                      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                      X