OFR inserts into Japanese Jacksons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR inserts into Japanese Jacksons

hello, firstly, its great to be back here! its been a long, long time since i last posted on this board... a great 7 years.. and Jackson is STILL my favourite guitar brand/company (though i very much prefer the pre-fender Jacksons).

alright friends, i need some information here. i'm going to assemble a project Jackson, from the japanese import line. body and neck are pre-fender if that makes a difference. i'll just like to know if OFR inserts (the inserts in the body, not studs that you screw into the inserts) are of the correct size to hammer into the body's holes for the inserts?

btw, i do know that the studs of japanese Jacksons and OFR studs do not match. it will be great if the OFR inserts are of the same size as the body's holes for the inserts.

Welcome back!

You have a lot of catching up to do. For instance, you need to find out that if anything, the Jackson line has improved since Fender took over. Every time we hear someone saying pre-fender we want to hit the face palm icon.

Pre-fender doesn't mean squat about the inserts for the import line. It didn't change at all due to Fender. Only Jackson USA.

OFR inserts. Well, you know certain guitars had those big-ass bushings. OFR bushings are much smaller, so you'd have to dowel and re-drill. Never hammer them in - you'll split the body if it's way too tight.

When you are talking studs don't match, do you mean the course threads vs. fine threads?

Take some pictures of what you have.

Comment

well i do already know that the studs of OFR and Jackson japan are different (OFR studs use fine threads, japanese Jacksons use coarse threads, OFR studs are also bigger than studs on japanese Jacksons) but that's not the issue because i just want to know if OFR inserts are of the correct size for japanese Jacksons' holes.

anyway, i don't agree that the quality of Jacksons have improved since fender took over, in fact i found it to be on the contrary, so really, nothing to catch up on, while i've been away from the board, i've not been away from Jackson guitars.
      Last edited by stagemaster; 09-04-2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

The inserts for an OFR were only slightly larger on the guitar I did. I don't know if the specs on the bushings are different for each of Jacksons LFR. The routes may be a little different too.

As for the pre/post Fender buyout, everything I've read, heard, and played says they're the same as they always were. Everyone pops out a turd now and again. Its the same people building them they same way they always have, just in a small corner of a larger shop. This is always a debate on here though.
        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

All my Jap Jacksons have had fine thread OFR studs so not sure what you have.
          The whole pre-Fender thing is hogwash IMO they are still great guitars made by the same people.
          Last edited by straycat; 09-04-2010, 10:05 AM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            All my Jap Jacksons have had fine thread OFR studs so not sure what you have.
            The whole pre-Fender thing is hogwash IMO they are still great guitars made by the same people.
            You own U.S.A guitars made at the fender plant (Jacksons) Hmmm...... : )-----lol
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

What model trem was on the body you have? If it was a JT-6, Budman makes posts that are the correct thread size, but with Floyd Rose style tops. They will allow you to use an OFR without any kind of wood surgery.

You can actually use the JT-6 posts for an OFR as well, but your range of motion on the trem will be slightly less from what I understand.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                If it was a JT-6, Budman makes posts that are the correct thread size, but with Floyd Rose style tops. They will allow you to use an OFR without any kind of wood surgery.
                What was that link, Hellbat? ---> http://www.fretsonthenet.com/
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  What model trem was on the body you have? If it was a JT-6, Budman makes posts that are the correct thread size, but with Floyd Rose style tops. They will allow you to use an OFR without any kind of wood surgery.

You can actually use the JT-6 posts for an OFR as well, but your range of motion on the trem will be slightly less from what I understand.
                  jt500, jt580.. its a bitch finding studs that fit the original inserts for these, and i found a good way to remove the inserts (if you are interested, newc documented this method in a tech faq) so i thought heck, why not just replace the stock inserts with OFR inserts and be done with it forever =) but i'm just worried about the 2nd stage, which is, installing the OFR inserts, i want to make sure the OFR inserts actually fit properly before i even remove the stock inserts.

moreover, if you noticed, the stock studs do wobble in the stock inserts, which apparently is not optimal for sustain, tone, tuning, intonation etc.. while the OFR studs are solid in the inserts without wobble, being thicker and fine threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by stagemaster View Post
                    jt500, jt580.. its a bitch finding studs that fit the original inserts for these, and i found a good way to remove the inserts (if you are interested, newc documented this method in a tech faq) so i thought heck, why not just replace the stock inserts with OFR inserts and be done with it forever =) but i'm just worried about the 2nd stage, which is, installing the OFR inserts, i want to make sure the OFR inserts actually fit properly before i even remove the stock inserts.

moreover, if you noticed, the stock studs do wobble in the stock inserts, which apparently is not optimal for sustain, tone, tuning, intonation etc.. while the OFR studs are solid in the inserts without wobble, being thicker and fine threaded.
                    I founf a set at a local music store. They were made by allparts.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

You can cut down on wobble of the posts inside the bushings by wrapping Teflon plumbers tape around the threads. I did that myself on the JT-6 posts in my model 5 and it worked great. Of course this will have no effect if the bushings themselves are moving around in the wood.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The examples I'm going by are a Toothpaste logo'd 375 fine thread studs/ JT-590, 92 fusion H-H Jt580 LP fine threads too.

Comment

well it looks like the 2 bridges you have are german schallers, which explains the fine threaded studs.

Comment

The 580LP is a Takeguchi.

Comment

strange, mine also uses jt580lp and it has the coarse threaded studs. is yours a jt590 schaller instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X