Opinions on the Dimarzio Super 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the Dimarzio Super 3?

I know I champion BareKnuckle Pickups wherever I go (and rightly so!), but I've always been curious about the Super 3. Anyone got opinions on it? Seems to be a general lack of reviews/sound clips on the web, especially for more aggressive metal styles like thrash or death metal.
    I like EL34s.

I have two and I still haven't heard one LOL!!!

One I got for a HM Strat I was restoring. It had drilled out holes for direct mount, so I needed to fix it.

But them I got a free BKP Warpig (don't know if it's a Ceramic or Alnico V) and figured I'd try it out before selling it to some fool for a uge amount of $$$.

Well, in that pink HM Strat, the warpig perfectly nails Maiden, better than any other guitar I own. So it's been stuck in there for a year and a halg.

So, I figured I'd just pick up another HM Strat to try out a Super 3 in. I got one with case on craigslist for $140 (paid $120), but the Kahler was in pieces. I've bout some parts, but the F'ing saddles (also on my pink HM Strat) have these tiny springs in them, and the springs come out and jam the saddles so that you can't use the fine tuners.

So I'm still stuck. I put in a help desk request (LOL!) in the tech forum on how do I take the saddles apart to fix the springs and put them back together. I think I need a press to puch the pin out and back in.

So, no, I still haven't used a Super 3.

Comment

I like it, but it can be on the muddy side. I don't recomment it if you use a solid state amp and I do not like it in basswood. mahogany it's great and in brighter wood guitars(yes, I know mahogany is not bright).

Comment

I like it... has a lot more bottom end than a JB for instance.
        Not great in Basswood and Rich states, but not terrible.
        I have one in my RG570.

Oh and they sound just fine through solid state amps. That's all I use. (I use a GT-8 and two Carvin SX300's)

If you want sound clips, pop up anything from Def Leppard. That's Phil's main pickup he's used over the last 15+years.
        -Rick

Comment

In my Poplar(?) RR1 it has somewhat compressed output, tight at the bottom, articulated yet chunky mids and a somewhat rounded off top end
          In my Koa Charvel 96 reiss. top end the same, but much more extreme in everything else

It misses a bit of high mid 'grind' and top end squeal
          If I would put it against a JB I'd say it misses the icepick and the flub (true comparison since that's what i swapped it with)
          (Imagined) Against a Custom Custom, I'd say it has less 'velvet'/smoothness
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I didn't care for it in the PC1... Too dark compared to everything else I have. I don't see how it works in Basswood, that's one of the few types of guitars I like the JB in.

Super Distortion is better.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              If you want sound clips, pop up anything from Def Leppard. That's Phil's main pickup he's used over the last 15+years.
              I haven't heard any of Phil's death metal riffing!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                Was about to say... lol
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  I didn't care for it in the PC1... Too dark compared to everything else I have. I don't see how it works in Basswood, that's one of the few types of guitars I like the JB in.

Super Distortion is better.
                  I have a Super-Distortion equipped guitar already. The SD is an original '72 model too. The output difference between the Fender singles and the SD is hilarious.

EDIT: I suppose I should add that I do like a Darker sound...
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                    :ROTF:
                    Death metal no... but you can get a good idea of the overall tone.
                    It gets plenty chunky for death metal... trust me on that.
                    -Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X