Advice on Jt-590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Jt-590

I just recently picked up, what I thought was, a really nice Charvel Fusion Deluxe. I got this fiddle fairly cheap and it even came with a chainsaw case. It's a bit mutt looking, but it has good character. I have been having a hell of a time trying to get the damn jt-590 bridge to even function like it should. I had not changed the strings yet and after a couple of days of playing, I noticed when doing dive bombs and pull-ups the G and B strings would go slightly out of tune. I thought the original problem was at the nut and maybe old strings, then I looked closely at the lower mounting stud and it looked off. I quickly clipped the strings and started to disassemble the trem and found the mounting stud was loose. I fixed that problem with some wood/metal bonding epoxy and the stud is now very solid. My next problem is the saddle blocks. These things will not budge. It's almost like they're pressure welded inside the saddle. I guess they have been sitting there a while with being loosened. I mean these things will not even budge enough to put new strings in. I tried letting the saddles sit in WD-40 but still no luck. Lastly, which is not that big of a deal, is that one of the intonation screw holes is stripped. Sorry to give you guys a novel to read, but I really need some advice. Is this setup worth saving? Should I get another one or swap it out with something different?

Yeah I'd try to salvage it. It's a good trem, and one stripped hole isn't enough to chuck it. Try one of those helio things that they use when people strip aluminum motor blocks.

I have a Fusion Deluxe as well. It's got a chip in the paint and looks like it was dropped (slight underside body cracks in paint), but it's otherwise a closet queen with no fret usage and a mint jt590.

You've gone this far, just a little nore to go. Hopefully the WD40 will work.

Comment

Nah, I didn't have any luck with the WD40. Will OFR saddles fit a jt-590?

Comment

They should. A JT-590 is made by Schaller in Germany, IIRC, and all the parts should be interchangeable with OFR (Again IIRC). It's a good trem, I have one on my Kelly, and it is solid as hell.

Comment

The problem with exchanging is the blocks will be in the wrong place, so you'll have intonation issues that will need to be solved, and the lock screws are longer on the OFR, making pullups tricky without damaging the paint.

Just get another JT-590 or try something stronger than WD40.

Comment

Well I successfully changed the strings, but it was a pain in the ass. That stud is staying sturdy and the tuning has awesome stability now. My only beef now is with the blocks. I'm starting to think that they aren't the original blocks. They fit a little too snug in those saddle cavities. DonP you're right about the lock screws. After eyeballing the two trems, they look thicker too, but it could be the pictures.

Comment

No, the OFR bolts are longer and thinner. I think someone makes conversion bolts so that you can put an OFR where a JT-590 once went.

But the other issue that's harder to describe is that the OFR will sit closer to the neck than the JT-590. You'll have to move the saddles all the way back, and you might not have enough room to intonate.

A JT-590 is just as good as an OFR in many peoples opinions. OFR's pop up all the time, and if I were to swap out every JT-590 I own for an OFR, I'd be stupid and broke.

It sounds like the person before you cranked down the locking nuts so tightly he either broke the original blocks or they might be deformed and on the virge of breaking. Many places (Allparts) sell replacements. OFR blocks and JT-590 blocks interchange.

What color is your Fusion? Mine is a metallic cobolt blue with chrome hardware and a very dark fretboard, like dark chocolate.

Comment

Mine is light blue. I don't know the color name ill have to compare it with a catalogue. The pups have been swapped for a dimarzio evo and some other dimarzio single coil. Its a sweet player now that I got the trem sorted out for the most part. Really LOW action! Ill post a picture when I get home this evening. I got the guitar and case for $150 so it was a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  No, the OFR bolts are longer and thinner. I think someone makes conversion bolts so that you can put an OFR where a JT-590 once went.

But the other issue that's harder to describe is that the OFR will sit closer to the neck than the JT-590. You'll have to move the saddles all the way back, and you might not have enough room to intonate.

A JT-590 is just as good as an OFR in many peoples opinions. OFR's pop up all the time, and if I were to swap out every JT-590 I own for an OFR, I'd be stupid and broke.

It sounds like the person before you cranked down the locking nuts so tightly he either broke the original blocks or they might be deformed and on the virge of breaking. Many places (Allparts) sell replacements. OFR blocks and JT-590 blocks interchange.

What color is your Fusion? Mine is a metallic cobolt blue with chrome hardware and a very dark fretboard, like dark chocolate.
                  I'm aware that pull-up's on an OFR fitted to this guitar would cause the OFR's bolts to damage the paint because they're longer. But if I ever replace the whole JT-590 on my Warrior Pro with an OFR, it won't intonate?
                  Last edited by wilkinsi; 08-28-2010, 12:14 PM.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                    I'm aware that pull-up's on an OFR fitted to this guitar would cause the OFR's bolts to damage the paint because they're longer. But if I ever replace the whole JT-590 on my Warrior Pro with an OFR, it won't fit intonate?
                    I didn't say that. I said it might not.

An OFR's stud are in a different location in the body than a JT590. It is POSSIBLE you might have issues. Why swap?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      I didn't say that. I said it might not.

An OFR's stud are in a different location in the body than a JT590. It is POSSIBLE you might have issues. Why swap?
                      I'm not doing it, at least not yet. Just a future change considering the locking blocks that secure the strings have fallen out when changing strings, and the trem itself is still somewhat rusted.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The blocks are stuck because someone cranked on them, which split them and now theyre pressure fit into the saddles. Youll need to use some very small screwdrivers to pop them out. As far as the intonation screw being stripped, pick up 6 intonation screws made for an original Floyd Rose... Theyre a tad longer and will go all the way through the baseplate and will grab just fine. The original Schaller screws dont go all the way through the baseplate and leave a couple threads untouched stripping out the few that they are grabbing over time.

You can not safely put an OFR in a Schaller rout without the string lock screws hitting the body. That and the baseplate dimensions are different so it wont exactly look good in there anyway. As far as intonation, it will work perfectly nomatter what bridge you use. Ive done it, just about every combination you can think of and it all works just fine.
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

As I said I would, here is a pic. Sorry it's kinda blurry, but it's dark outside and the lighting in my house sucks. DonP maybe you can tell me what color this is. Don't laugh at my exercise mat!

Comment

That might be the same color as mine. Does it look brighter blue in that picture than in person? Metallic finishes don't look good with a flash or lots of light because of the metal flakes faking out the camera.

Comment

Yeah it's a little lighter in natural light. It is a very metallic color where you can basically see the flakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X