Re-fretting from Jumbo to Small Fret Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-fretting from Jumbo to Small Fret Wire

Is it possible to change fret wire sizes from jumbo or medium jumbo fret wire to small wire? Are frets pressed into the wood with enough force to leave a mark that will be visible if I replace wider, jumbo frets with narrower, small frets?

If there are any other considerations I missed, e. g., depth of the barb into the wood, etc., let me know.

TIA
    Last edited by Trussrod; 08-21-2010, 12:07 PM.

No idea. But I prefer small frets too.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

I'd say after the board is smoothed out properly in preparation for the new frets, no visible trace of the larger frets would be seen. I'd usually trade a guitar away instead of doing a major overhaul like this, though (and I have a refret project in progress, too).

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
        Is it possible to change fret wire sizes from jumbo or medium jumbo fret wire to small wire?
        Yep!

Are frets pressed into the wood with enough force to leave a mark that will be visible if I replace wider, jumbo frets with narrower, small frets?
        They certainly can be; depends on who put them in. You may notice differences in wood color as well. When you pull the frets, making sure the fretboard surface is cleaned up and level is part of the process, so this may minimize some of that.

If there are any other considerations I missed, e. g., depth of the barb into the wood, etc., let me know.

TIA
        In a nutshell, you'll want to make sure that the new frets will fit in the old fret slots. You'll want to measure the width of the tang, and the depth of the fret slot.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully! I found dimensions on the Fender Tech Talk site, but there might be better info on sites that actually sell fret wire. I was hoping to use small stainless steel frets on a maple neck. I'm putting together a Kramer guitar and beak necks with maple fret boards appear to be hard to find. I really like the small frets on the early 1980's Kramers and might end up having to use a newer beak from a Gibson Pacer Classic.

@Axe: I hadn't thought of that, but a maple board with no inlays or ebony inlays would be easier to level.

Comment

Working...
          X