New Socal issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Socal issue

Hey probably not a big deal but I bought a couple of socals and on 1 of them I heard a screech noise coming from the trem . I took off the back plate and there is scrape mark on it. Seems the floyd is hitting the plate and making noise. Brand new guitar ,how do I fix it? I have the plate off now and its fine but I want to put it back. Other thing is ,Ive never bought a guitar with the neck being so raw feeling in the back. Feels like a 2 by 4 . Any special oil I should use to slick it up some? Thanks

Hmmm, the block is rubbing on the trem plate? Did you buy the SoCal new? If it is used, maybe the previous owner switched the blocks and the one on there now is too long.
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Brand new Alvin still minty fresh.

Comment

These are the options I see:

1- Add a shim to increase the neck angle. This will allow you to raise the trem up higher off the body, get the bottom of the block away from the cover, and will also give you more pullup range with the trem. Some don't like the idea of having to add a shim, but I've had many guitars with them and had no problems. This is what I'd do personally in this situation, because I don't like how little pullup range the promods have to begin with. Just a matter of preference, and others do just the opposite and lower the trem all the way to the body.

2- Pull the trem out and see what length block it has. Replace with the next smaller size.

3- Leave the cover off.

4- Return it for another if you bought from a dealer. Possibly not an option, since they have discontinued the USA promods.

5- Go through the warranty process if you bought from an authorized dealer. They'll refer you to the nearest authorized Fender repair center, where they will most likely do option #2.

Comment

There's usually a shim between the FR and the block. Maybe you can remove that or use a shorter block--32 mm or 34 mm, for example.

You can finish the back of the neck with Gun Stock Tru-Oil. You might want to sand the neck first then use steel wool in between coats of finish.

Comment

Hahaha, I got my So-Cal not long ago, and it has a problem for when I switch to the Tone Zone and it seems to cut the signal, or something because it loses all it's tone and it's like playing a quiet clean channel. It's not a big deal, all you have to do is toggle the pickup selector back and forth a few times and it's fine. But, I would like to get it fixed. I guess it's because I baught my brand new, but it's been sitting around for 2 years... yes it's brand new and it's from 2008! Not that I'm bashing the company... oh no, the guitar is KILLER. But I should go get that sent it with the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              There's usually a shim between the FR and the block. Maybe you can remove that or use a shorter block--32 mm or 34 mm, for example.

You can finish the back of the neck with Gun Stock Tru-Oil. You might want to sand the neck first then use steel wool in between coats of finish.
              That is not a shim. It helps maintain even/constant pressure on the fine tuner tension plate. I wouldn't remove that. If you like the way your trem sits as is, then go with the next shorter block.

Comment

If you want to go the shorter block route, then you'll have to work out the different in block height, then measure the gap between the springs an d the body, to make sure the springs will still clear the wood with the smaller block in place. I'd go the shim route myself.

Comment

Working...
                X