J200 without JE-1200. New pot values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J200 without JE-1200. New pot values?

I have a pre-SL1 h/s/s USA soloist with a JE-1200. I'm thinking of converting it to all passive electronics. Eventually I'll probably get new Kent Armstrong pickups (the kind that look like EMGs, to maintain the sleek look of the guitar) But for now, I'm thinking of keeping the J200 pickups and putting a the Jackson humbucker cover on a DiMarzio FRED i have laying around. The current pots are 50k. If I run the J200 without the active system, should I be using 250k pots like a normal strat?

I don't plan to sell this guitar, but will changing the electronics have a substantial effect on the value of this guitar? It's currently all original.

Man, the J200 pups are basically useless without the preamp; super low output and very bleak.

Comment

I'm not sure whether there are the same single coils on Charvel 475, but I've bought mine with a DiMarzio DP100 in the bridge position and without the JE-1200 and they are very quiet. I've had the same pickups with active circuit and that's the way they should be played (though, too trebly for me).

About value - I think that the best idea is to keep the original electronics somewhere, in case a buyer wants it all original

Ah, Sunbane was quicker

Comment

Yeah I had one in my gid spidey with no preamp. Even with a 500K vol and no tone it was pretty constipated sounding.

Comment

So does a J200 without the active system sounds different than having the mid boost knob turned down to zero?

Comment

Yes. Even with the knob down, the active system is buffering the signal.

Comment

Hmm, and what about the other way round? I mean the J200s and a DiMarzio pickup WITH JE-1200? Can you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by mraus View Post
                Hmm, and what about the other way round? I mean the J200s and a DiMarzio pickup WITH JE-1200? Can you do it?
                I think that would work. It would probably sound best with a DiMarzio lacking in bass and mids like a Super II, but that's just speculation. However, I'm trying to convert to all passive electronics. I actually like the sound of the stock active electronics, but I just don't like the idea of a battery in my guitar.

I want to keep the clean look of covered pickups though, which really limits my choices to Kent Armstrong, Lace and EMG-HZ pickups.

Comment

I don't like the idea either, but I'm selling a 475 with a DP100 in a bridge and the quiet j-200s really scare buyers off

Comment

Working...
                  X