Swapping Kahler 2500 with Floyd Rose Original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping Kahler 2500 with Floyd Rose Original

Hi-Just picked up a Model 3A- The Kahler 2500 won't return to pitch without manual adjustment, mostly after an up-pull. Never had anything but a Floyd in 25 years, so I am planning a swap. Has anyone here done that, and is it simply just plugging and re-drilling pivot bushing holes or do I need to re-route the trem cavity. I realize if I want clearance for fine tuners I will have to route a little behind the trem, but what about the differences between flat mount and recessed mount? Any comments and experiences appreciated.

A Kahler Killer 2700 would be a lot easier retrofit.

I don't know for sure, but I think the floyd post spacing is different. You'd have to fill and re-drill, and maybe route for clearance. A lot of work.

Comment

2700 is the way to go a direct swap.OFR you will need to plug and re-drill, the Model 3 trems are top mount so there is some neck angle to the pocket.No need to route the body at all.
      If you routed for a floyd you just messed up a perfectly good Model 3 body.IMO
      The 2500 on my model 2 works fine maybe you just need some new trem posts.
      Last edited by straycat; 08-17-2010, 01:06 AM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well I feel like a real bonehead- I am so used to the Floyd style- knife edge on bridge, pivot point on stud. Even though I read about the reverse design of the Kahler, I had the trem off the posts knife edges and had been playing like that for a couple days! Now that they are on track, everything is fine. Anyway, I really do like the looks and feel of the fulcrum Kahler. I would consider a Kahler Killer if they were not $250. When I got the guitar the high E fine tuning arm where the ball end rests against was slightly askew, I wondered how it could have gotten bent. I was playing and the piece snapped off !? Now I can jam the ball end in the mangled wreckage and get it to tune, but I have no fine tuning. As long as I get the high E in stable tune, I can tune the others accordingly. Where can I find trem posts and other parts for a 2500? Do I just scour Ebay and hope and wait? Another option I am considering is a Wilkinson 2 point trem. Same pivot post spacing ( USA Strat ) But then what, remove the string nut lock and get locking tuners? Another option is that I've considered making it a hardtail using a Kahler 7330. One + for the Floyd argument- I have one on hand.

Comment

I've never heard of a swapping a Kahler 2-point for a Wilkinson. Actually I brought it up here to someone a while back, and I think it was a no go. Also, like ya said, no fine tuners.

If you wanna put a Floyd on it, it'd be much easier to just get a Floyd ready Model 3 body. They're plenty out there.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Kahlerusa.com has the parts. I've bought from them recently. They ship fast too (but only on certain days).

Comment

Working...
            X