Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help From Setup GURU's....Fret Buzz All Over The Place

Hi All,

I've been working on this guitar all weekend...93 Dinky XL Pro. Mind you, I bought this guitar 3 weeks ago.

I can't set the action without fret buzz. My current setup is; 2mm height at the 12th for treble and bass. Adjusted truss rod to .020 relief at the 8th fret. Using DiAddario's 120 which start at 9's for the high E. This should be the Jackson std setup from what I've read (actually 1.5mm string height is Jackson spec's).

I'm getting fret buzz up and down the fretboard. I can raise the action but the string height will be very high. I've tried added relief, flattening the fretboard but after hours of trying, I still get fret buzz. The setup I mentioned above got the best results, but with fret buzz. I have an ESP M250 setup to these spec's with little to no fret buzz, and the fret buzz is only in certain spots. With the Dinky, it's all over the place.

My frets look pretty good. By that I mean they don't look worm. They have a good crown but it seems like it had a refret. They measure about .045 tall and seem to be jumbo since they are wider than all my other guitars. Could this be the problem? Frets that are too low? I'm very confused. This guitar should have great action...

dinkyguitar

If you did some tweaking on the trussrod you have to let it settle in.
    That's why measuring is so important (sounds like you are doing that OK).

Wait a bit, do the fret rocker biz, and don't forget the Sharpie marker trick.

.045 should be fine.

Comment

This morning the neck relief settled at .016". Seemed like alittle less fret buzz but still there.

Should I readjusted the neck get to .020"?

What is the sharpie marker trick? I have strings on right now...

dinkyguitar

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
        I have an ESP M250 setup to these spec's with little to no fret buzz, and the fret buzz is only in certain spots. With the Dinky, it's all over the place.
        If you have another guitar set up to those specs, then you aren't doing something right. The frets aren't level. Looking at them doesn't count as actually checking them. Do you know how to level frets?

Comment

I've never done fret level before, but I've seen it done on guitar tutorials, and know the basics...

My thing is, if there were frets that weren't level I would be getting fret buzz in certain spots..To me with this guitar, the fret buzz seems to be even across most of the fretboard. I just think that this Jackson Dinky XL Pro should have better action than this...

Checking to see that all the frets are level is something that I will do, just to see if they are.

dinkyguitar

Comment

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

Comment

How much fret buzz are you getting? A little is normal to live with.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You may have too much relief. I usually set relief between .005 and .012". Too much relief can cause fret buzz. Another thing you might try is heavier guage strings like 10's. I have had guitars that would have a little buzz with 9's and switching to 10's solved the buzzing issue.

Comment

Going guitar to guitar and trying to match the specs is not going to help you unless the necks are the same, been leveled, have the same mojo, etc... I have a Kelly XL that is the best setup I've ever seen on a guitar. So I tried to match the specs on my DKMG and it played like crap. Buzz in spots and just felt wrong. Checked the fret level on both, the Kelly XL must have just had a fret level and was perfect. The DKMG, which was basically unplayed from the factory, needs a level for a perfect setup. Plays good now but not setup exactly like the Kelly. Unless the neck is warped or something really bad, you can get a great setup on that guitar. I don't use measurements myself, just eyeball it and tweak as necessary. But sounds like you need to check the frets for level to me.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

toejam,

I reduced my neck relief from .020 to .010 like dannyr suggested. My fret buzz now for i.e., is if I hit the D & G string at the 8th fret, I get buzz from the initial strum followed by a 1/2 second of fret buzz. This is pretty much all over the fretboard...There are 1 or 2 spots that that more fret buzz. I'm going to let the neck settle again and see what it sounds like. This to me sounds like it's getting better.

I also just got another guitar, 1 more Dinky XL Pro. This one is great shape. The action and setup on this guitar is what Jackson's are supposed to be.

I'm going to use this guitar as a reference point...I know warlok said, it's not a good idea, but it will give me something to compare to...

And I was also thinking on going to 10's string guage. The new guitar I just got might have 10's, I'll have to check.

BTW, here's the 2 guitars I'm talking about. The Cherryburst has the setup issue, while the other is perfect..

dinkyguitar

Comment

Working...
                    X