Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Guitar Cavity Shielding Problems - (Faraday's Cage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Guitar Cavity Shielding Problems - (Faraday's Cage)

Hey folks,

So I've just shielded the electronics cavity of my Jackson DKMGT electric guitar, as well as the pickup cavity, with copper tape. The pickup combo is a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 (neck) & Seymour Duncan TB-12 Screamin' Demon (bridge). Basically I'm trying to create a Faraday's cage.

The first part of this video explains what I'm trying to do:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ohqmX6WvM

After setting up everything, I've noticed my guitar feedback is still noisier than ever. I've tested this with different cables, as well as different guitar amps (Epiphone Valve Special, Mesa Recto Single/Dual, Peavey 6505+, Soldano SLO-100). There is absolutely zero difference from when there wasn't any copper tape.

The ground wire is soldered onto my tone pot, and also soldered to a metal strip screwed onto the guitar wood (which is circled below). This is also done in my pickup cavity. Should that ground wire be connected elsewhere?

Here's the wiring diagram

2 Humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 Way Switch:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=2h_1v_1t_3w

Below are pictures:

Looks pretty well shielded. I like a well-shielded guitar. However, I don't think shielding has much to do with "feedback" per se. It can cut down on the hum caused by radiated EMI. To my knowledge, the only issue with guitar electronics that can aggravate amp feedback is when your pickups start to go microphonic.

Comment

Feedback is usually prevalent in hollow bodied guitars so not applicable in this case.
      Feedback is caused primarily by the pick up itself not being wax potted.If the pick ups are vintage they may need to be re-potted which is a simple procedure.
      One thing to look at is the ceramic disk capacitor they can go microphonic too say if you over heat one of the leads.
      The ceramic coating will expand the case and loosen the inner disk causing it to vibrate.
      I would take the cap out and see if the feedback stops and if it does replace the cap with a quality oil and paper cap.
      My guess you have a batch of bad cables because your shielding kills any interference in the guitar itself.
      Last edited by straycat; 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Is this the only guitar this is happening with? I have a spot in my house that no matter what I do, or which of many guitars I play, cables, pedals, etc.., I can't get rid of the noise (hum/buzz, not feedback). Can't find anything that was contributing to the noise, did everything except shut my whole breaker box off but couldn't get rid of the interference. Now that I have everything in my studio room, all is quiet.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
        X