JT6 bar conversion not going well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 bar conversion not going well

I'm a bit stuck here. I'm swapping out my loose, wobbly JT6 push-in arm with the collared conversion kit from Budman. The trouble is, my stubborn old bushing just sort of spins freely and won't come off. I've tried to push the part towards the baseplate to get the threads to catch while turning it, but no luck. I guess the next step is to start hacksawing it, but I don't even own a hacksaw right now. Ideas?

JT6_01.jpg

Comment

I don't think the baseplate is threaded. If I remember right when I did this I just removed the spring and screw from the bottom of the jt6 insert assembly, removed the nut which was holding it tight on the baseplated, then bashed it from below with a hammer, and it just popped out. I have a whole unit sitting in my box of bits- I'll go and check it...

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
        I don't think the baseplate is threaded. If I remember right when I did this I just removed the spring and screw from the bottom of the jt6 insert assembly, removed the nut which was holding it tight on the baseplated, then bashed it from below with a hammer, and it just popped out. I have a whole unit sitting in my box of bits- I'll go and check it...
        Ok thanks. I "bashed it from below" and the threads did finally catch a bit. I worked at the top with a screwdriver (mangling the slots) and from the bottom with vice-grips (mangling the bottom), and it came out at a bit of a cross-threaded angle (mangling the threads). It's out now, but the bushing is mangled (no big deal). The base plate looks to be good-to-go!

Comment

Yup it's on there. Looks like it's going to work well. Out of curiosity, I tried to put a standard Schaller collared bushing on there. It has this knurled ring thing that makes it not fit well. Budman's got that shit figured out. He's good.

JT6_02.jpg

Comment

every jt6 ive had ive done the same thing with, except ive found that schaller bushings usually just work for me :/
            its a little hard to wedge em into the hole but once its in, it aint goin nowhere!

Comment

Yeah, I just converted a second one and that bushing screwed right out no problem. Weird.

Comment

The one in my model 5 defied all forces I was willing to bring against it so I gave up. I imagine a hydraulic press of some sort is the best solution.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  The one in my model 5 defied all forces I was willing to bring against it so I gave up. I imagine a hydraulic press of some sort is the best solution.
                  Really? Damn. My backup plan was a hacksaw, but I know that would not have been a walk in the park.

Comment

Working...
                  X