Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing play from a floyd rose bar?

FOUND A SOLUTION. See my last post.
    Last edited by Tmoran; 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM.

Stew Mac has replacements made by Schaller for the collared style. Avoid the Allparts ones like the plague. I also understand you can get the old school screw-in bushings and bars again. I've recently been re-converted back to that style. Once set up properly, you will not find a tighter fit than those offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      Stew Mac has replacements made by Schaller for the collared style. Avoid the Allparts ones like the plague. I also understand you can get the old school screw-in bushings and bars again. I've recently been re-converted back to that style. Once set up properly, you will not find a tighter fit than those offer.
      yeah, ive seen those but I want to get away from the collard mount arm all together. Im trying to find a retrofit push in or even screw in that will work with an OFR. Im gonna see if a replacement Ibanez unit can be installed.

Comment

Try a single wrap of PTFE tape round the base of the bar to stop it rattling around
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          Stew Mac has replacements made by Schaller for the collared style. Avoid the Allparts ones like the plague.
          Maybe something has changed in the couple of years since I last bought one, but the Allparts bars I've bought have all said "Made in Germany by Schaller" on the package. I'll have a look next time I pick up some strings.

Comment

Well i figured out what the problem is and why an OFR bar has a large amount of wiggle. One reason is the bar is a little over 4 thousandths of an inch smaller than the collar it slides into. This difference in tolerance may seem small but it will create a noticeable amount of play in the bar. The other issue compounding the problem is the allen screw that holds the collar on the the main floyd plate is just a little too long. The OFR bar has a cotter pin with grooves cut in it to ride along the collar. Since the screw for the collar is too long the bar bottoms out in the hole before the cotter pin has a chance to make contact with the collar. This allows the small tolerance difference to have a more dramatic effect on the amount of play the bar has. By installing a slightly thicker washer than stock under the allen screw or by grinding a small amount off the end of the screw it no longer will go into the collar so much as to make the bar bottom out when installed. This will allow full contact of the cotter pin and reduce the amount of play considerably. I have not found a reliable way to eliminate play any further but im working on it. If i find a more permanent way of thickening the bar i will post it here. I do think though im going to custom make a bar with better tolerances. Or seeing if I can modify the existing bar to accept a bushing similar to the edge tremelos. But I dont see how I would do that without making a new bar anyways.
            Last edited by Tmoran; 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X