Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which POTS for my Jackson Dinky Pro?

Hi,

I have a broken tone POT, so I need to replace it and while I'm at it, I'll switch out the volume one.

Currently I have stock pickups in HSS configuration with 250k POTS. I plan to use 500k.

Will I have to enlarge the holes if I use CTS or ALPHA POTS?

dinkyguitar

no...
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
      no...
      ?

I thought all imports have the smaller holes and ALPHA pots.

CTS pots have the larger shafts. You'll need new knobs too.

Comment

Yep you will need to enlarge the holes.CTS pots have larger shafts.
        A wood reamer is the tool you will need just enlarge the hole from the inside so you don't chip the paint.
        BTW get 500k pots for both tone and vol.Use a .22 audio cap.
        Last edited by straycat; 08-12-2010, 11:08 PM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

dinkyguitar

Thanks for the replies...

Been doing research and since my guitar is MIJ it's all metric, so the CTS POTS (USA) are larger, while the Alpha's are smaller and will fit. (as suggested)

My question is....Is it worth it enlarging the holes and installing the CTS POTS? Will I notice a difference?

And also, I might need new knobs if they don't fit the CTS POTS...or drill out my existing ones to fit...

straycat....why use a .22 cap instead of the traditional .047?

dinkyguitar
          Last edited by dinkyguitar; 08-13-2010, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
            The .022 is more traditional. The .047 is usually for bass or if you want a warmer/darker tone from your guitar.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
              dinkyguitar
              It's a taste thing. How much treble bleed do you want? A 0.022 will have a brighter sound. Generally a guitar with humbuckers will use a 0.022 whilst a guitar with single coils will have a 0.047.

I have messed around with some combinations and found the oldies seem to work just fine for sound. Never had a HSS to try it on though, I would think a 0.022 would be best since I bet you play on the H more than the S or the S? But beware the 2 S's will be very bright. Do you have just the one tone knob? Might work better to have a tone knob for the S's and one for the H...

Comment

dinkyguitar

bratfink,

I have 1 tone knob....but thinking about the volume & tone...I've never/rarely turn down the tone or volume...They are all turned up. So in that sense does it make a difference between CTS or Aplha's?

I'm not even sure what cap is in there now? 93 Dinky XL Pro all stock..I know it's got 250k pots.

My future project is to rewire the whole thing with new POTS which is why I'm asking all these questions...I'm currently finishing building my Erlewine guitar neck jig.

dinkyguitar

Comment

Dude,

Read my post. I said you'd need new knobs if you got the CTS pots.

If I were you, I'd get some push/pull DPDT pots so that you can do some coil taping / phase reversing stuff, but that's me.

CTS pots are better quality. If quality isn't important, get alpha. Why do you think USA guitars (Fender, Gibson, Jackson) all use CTS?

Cap size. .047 would be mud city, but maybe that's your thing. In general, I prefer lighter cap values. .022, .015. Get the common Orange Drops which are good, or spend for the paper in oil stuff. I'd stay away from ceramic disc just because they look cheap.

I'm surprised Straycat hasn't pointed you to his buddies

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore...epdd4bba0draq0

Comment

Thanks guys for all your input......

DonP,

My fault...I missed your reply on the knob size...

dinkyguitar,

Comment

Thanks Don I get ragged for promoting RS guitarworks on here so I refrained from doing so.
                      They are the tone gurus just read their list of big name players so that should tell you all you need to know.
                      I use 022 on the bridge and 015 on the neck of say a L.P.to get the mud out of the neck pick up.
                      I really like the Modern RS cap and the vintage RS cap a lot.(oil and paper) just kick ass.
                      Jensen,Mallory,orange drop and grey tiger are great audio caps too.
                      Yes the CTS pots and good caps will make a huge difference in your tone.Just ask guys like Buddy Guy or Jon Shaffer those two guys have awesome tone and they use rs kits.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X