How are the necks on these SoCal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are the necks on these SoCal?

I'm seriously considering one if I can find the right color in 2H or 2H with pickguard (style 1).

However I'm really worried about the neck. Nut width it said to be almost 43mm. This is similar to my Charvel M4 which feels great, but does get a little painful for extended periods of time.

My Fender Highway1 has a GREAT neck and is always comfortable. I THINK this is 43mm as well so it seems I may just prefer more substantial necks; how is the profile on those SoCal? Will it feel familiar? I can't stand thin necks: I don't shred nor ever really plan to. I don't mind the 12 to 16 radius either.

Thanks

I would not say M4-ish, more strat-ish.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
      I would not say M4-ish, more strat-ish.
      Agreed, I have a Pagen Gold So Cal and it definately feels more strat-ish to me but more comfortable because I prefer the 12-16" compound radius. I have a model 6 as well as a 2005 re-issue and the necks are worlds apart from the So Cal as far as feel goes. If you like a Fender then I'd imagine that you'd be happy with a Pro Mod.

Comment

I love you guys but my wallet hates y'all

One of these + Duncan TB5 + Tremolno = kickass 1,000 euros shredder. Now to actually learn/want to shred...

Comment

Erm...Noob question...why are the So-Cals called So-Cals? What's the meaning to that name?
          Ashique M. Fahim
          Instrumental Rock Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter

www.facebook.com/iamfahim
          www.myspace.com/amfahim
          www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
          www.youtube.com/kalapoka666

Comment

the factory was in SOuthern CALifornia originally.

Comment

And still is!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                the factory was in SOuthern CALifornia originally.
                Gotcha. Thanks!
                Ashique M. Fahim
                Instrumental Rock Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter

www.facebook.com/iamfahim
                www.myspace.com/amfahim
                www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
                www.youtube.com/kalapoka666

Comment

Best necks ever - and they feel like the thighs of young California coeds!
                  Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    And still is!
                    Are you sure? I heard they were made in Ontario, Canada?
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      Are you sure? I heard they were made in Ontario, Canada?
                      Weren't some made in Ft Worth, TX too?

Comment

The necks are pretty nice. Unfinished and smooooth.

Comment

I have a San Dimas 2H, and the necks are supposed to be the same according to the charvel website. And yes, the so-cals are a USA production model.

Comment

Thanks everyone. If I do go for one though it'll be the new Japanese series, they're a lot cheaper and considering how much I need a Floyded superstrat (would be a third, and I never use vibratos...) it seems a lot wiser I'm hoping the neck would feel similar to my Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by pott View Post
                              Thanks everyone. If I do go for one though it'll be the new Japanese series, they're a lot cheaper and considering how much I need a Floyded superstrat (would be a third, and I never use vibratos...) it seems a lot wiser I'm hoping the neck would feel similar to my Strat.
                              I play a lot of Strats and really got used to an American Standard neck profile. The ProMod necks are closer to a strat than a Charvel Custom Shop. But, it's definitely thinner and flatter than a strat, and more shoulder to the profile. It's a comfy neck, just not close to a Fender Am Strat. It will feel significantly thinner than what you are used to. But, try it and see if you like it. I've had three MZ Naturals and two ProMods. I sold the MZ Naturals because the neck profile. The ProMods hung around longer. But, now I'm looking at the Nitro Aged as they supposedly have thicker more Strat-like neck profiles. I still need to play one though.

Comment

Working...
                              X