Lets talk shielding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk shielding!

As some of you may already know I'm dropping new pickups and electronics in an 1989 Ontario Soloist. This guitar came with a copper shield that was secured to the bottom (top? The underside of the piece of wood the pot shafts go through) of the control cavity. The shield is shot however, so I would like to know what I should replace it with. Should I

-Use shielding paint? (I would really rather not do this one)
    -Use copper shielding tape?
    -Use a precut shield like the stock one? (Does anybody know where to acquire these?)
    -Not shield at all.

Also I have several guitars that are wired identically (same model, same pickups) but one is wired with mogami "shielded" wire for all the electronic connections. I can't really hear a huge difference in noise (I don't use a noise gate). Am I doing something wrong? Should there theoretically be a sizable advantage?

I've only used the copper tape, but I've heard others prefer the shielding paint over the tape.

-Use a precut shield like the stock one? (Does anybody know where to acquire these?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1988-Jac...s#ht_500wt_948

Comment

Plaster the bugger up with coppertape

If it doesn't do anything, it'll at least do no harm
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Send your old one or cut a template out of paper and send it to budman. I've had several made.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure Dave could make you a nice plate.

I use copper tape from Stewmac, it's conductive on the sticky side too so you don't need to bridge it when you use multiple pieces. I do the whole cavity, up the sides, and the plastic cover, and use shielded wire for the jack.

I have a dimmer on the light in my music room and it does help a bit.

Comment

Who is that 7guit777 guy? I have bought stuff off him/her before, and every time I am looking for rare parts his auctions pop up.

Comment

Working...
            X