Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys orient your springs on the trem cavity?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys orient your springs on the trem cavity?...

Hi all, I have a KE2 that I've installed a brass big block and a trem-stopper on. Before I installed them, I had the springs fanned out from the 3 center hooks of the claw and when I changed strings, there was no problem with the bridge staying level. Now when I change strings, I set the trem-stopper next to the block to keep it level. But, once I change the strings and stretch them and get them tuned to pitch, the bridge will raise ever so slightly. Once, I changed strings and went to practice two days later and the strings kept lowering in pitch and the bridge kept raising slightly above level. I checked the locking nut screws and the truss rod, no problems there. I've worked with Floyds since the late 80's and I haven't seen this before. Don't know if it's humidity (we're talking about Louisiana here, lol) or what it could be. Granted, the guitar I used back then had a non-recessed Floyd rout. I'm thinking about taking the trem-stopper out and resetting the springs the way I originally had them tonight. Anybody ever experienced this? Thanks in advance!

Mark

You've got to find that right balance between springs and strings before you lock the trem-stopper into place the first time you put strings on with it. Next time you change strings you can leave it locked and it should be fine as long as you use the same brand and gauge strings.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Nothing to do with the springs at all.

Are you saying that the adjustment is wandering, or that it just isn't the same as it was? If it's not the same that is expected. The tension will be different with the springs not angled (less) so the bridge is tilted forward.

You just need to tighten the spring claw a little, it sounds like.

Comment

Forgot to mention, the springs are now straight in line with the claw (2 on bass side, 1 on treble side) due to the trem-stopper. I've been using the same brand and gauge since I got the guitar (SIT 10-52) roughly 5 months ago. I can remember one string-change a couple of months ago when I didn't have a problem, it settled in just fine and was level, and that was with the trem-stopper. I only use the trem-stopper to help with string changes a la Adam Reiver's suggestion. After a string-change, I back it out so I can pull up on the bar. Nothing changed, but I've had problems since then. I am going to put the springs back the way they were (there were no bridge problems then) and just work with the bridge more to get it where it was. I have noticed that as the strings age and go dead (after a couple of really sweaty gigs and a few weeks), the bridge starts to drop slightly into the recess, I guess because the strings lose tension and elasticity? Don't know for sure, though. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Comment

Strings lose their "springiness" over time. If they were originally in an angled position, this increases the tension, so putting them straight without tightening the claw will result in the bridge getting pulled up by the strings. Tighten the claw until the bridge is where you want it and you shouldn't have to adjust it again unless you switch string brands or gauges.
          Scott

Comment

When I installed the brass block right after I got the guitar, I adjusted the claw so the bridge was level, and it stayed level during string changes until I installed the trem-stopper and put the springs straight instead of angled. I installed the trem-stopper about 6-8 weeks ago. I always use the same gauge and brand of strings, too. I'm going to work on it tonight and put them back fanned out from the claw. Thanks for the replies guys!
            Mark

Comment

By changing them from angled to straight, you effectively shortened the springs. You just need to tighten the claw a bit.
              Scott

Comment

I'm not sure how many people need to tell him that before he believes it. :dunno:

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear and for that I apologize, but I DID tighten the claw to set the bridge level when I installed the block. I also did it to compensate for the new orientation of the springs when I installed the trem-stopper. I only use the trem-stopper to stabilize the bridge during string changes. I back it out when I'm done. I've always made sure that the bridge is level with the body when I set it up. When I installed everything, I followed Adam Reiver's instructions. But like I said, when I change strings the bridge pulls up slightly after a while. This is even after stretching the strings, which I'm a firm believer in, lol. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere and that's why it moves, but I did tighten the claw. Anyway, the springs are going back the way they originally were and the trem-stopper is coming out, lol. After learning how to set up Floyds years ago, I discovered it's pretty much the way others do it. I thought I'd try something new with the trem-stopper. But for me, I prefer my old way, lol. Thanks again.
                  Mark

Comment

Since I used all five springs there is no issues for me......

Comment

Originally posted by MNash87 View Post
                      Maybe I wasn't clear and for that I apologize, but I DID tighten the claw to set the bridge level when I installed the block. I also did it to compensate for the new orientation of the springs when I installed the trem-stopper. I only use the trem-stopper to stabilize the bridge during string changes. I back it out when I'm done. I've always made sure that the bridge is level with the body when I set it up. When I installed everything, I followed Adam Reiver's instructions. But like I said, when I change strings the bridge pulls up slightly after a while. This is even after stretching the strings, which I'm a firm believer in, lol. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere and that's why it moves, but I did tighten the claw. Anyway, the springs are going back the way they originally were and the trem-stopper is coming out, lol. After learning how to set up Floyds years ago, I discovered it's pretty much the way others do it. I thought I'd try something new with the trem-stopper. But for me, I prefer my old way, lol. Thanks again.
                      Mark
                      OK, gotcha.

That sounds like it just wasn't fine-tuned, maybe you had it tuned just a little too high initially? I have never had the angle of the bridge change like that except in the case of changing the string tension (or spring tension).

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right. I probably had it tuned a little high. That makes sense now that I think about it. I used to have a lot more time to set my guitars up years ago, but now my schedule is so busy I probably wasn't paying close enough attention that time, lol. What I used to do on my old Hamer is tune it a little flat so that when it's locked the strings go up that extra little bit closer to pitch. My fine tuners on the Hamer were set a little more than halfway so I wouldn't have to unlock and retune if the strings went a little flat due to stretching. Gonna redo it tonight, and set the springs fanned out and see what happens, lol. It was really more stable that way before i put the trem-stopper in, or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention during the setup with the trem-stopper, lol. Anyway, thanks for the replies and the suggestions, much appreciated!!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X