Which nut (R?) do I need for a 2005 Pointy reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which nut (R?) do I need for a 2005 Pointy reissue

I am replacing the black Floyd Rose on my 2005 Pointy reissue with a Chrome Floyd. Can someone tell me which nut I need for the replacement (R?)

Thanks.

Can you measure the width at the nut? Is it 1 5/8 or 1 11/16? I don't think J/C ever used 1 3/4 on any production models.

R2 = 1 5/8
    R3 = 1 11/16

Comment

99% of them were 1 11/16", but some of the first ones they made for Wild West Guitars were 1 3/4". R3 and R4 are both 1 11/16", btw. R3 has slightly closer spacing and keeps the E strings in off the edges of the fretboard, which I prefer.

Comment

I know that R3 and R4 are both 1 11/16, but the R3 is much more common on production guitars from what I've seen...didn't want to confuse him. I'm surprised they used 1 3/4...were they a special run just for WWG?

Comment

Take the one off and look and see that will tell you which to get.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
            I'm surprised they used 1 3/4...were they a special run just for WWG?

They were, but the thing about the pointies was that the line could be kinda blurry between what was built as "regular" dealer stock, what was a special run for a dealer, and what was a custom. Like the old ones, even the dealer stock guitars with a set of standard specs weren't really production guitars in the way that the promods are.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Take the one off and look and see that will tell you which to get.
              I didn't realize that they were marked on the underside. It has an R3, so R3 it is.

Originally posted by dg View Post
              They were, but the thing about the pointies was that the line could be kinda blurry between what was built as "regular" dealer stock, what was a special run for a dealer, and what was a custom. Like the old ones, even the dealer stock guitars with a set of standard specs weren't really production guitars in the way that the promods are.
              The neck is 1 11/16

Thanks for the help.

After some price shopping, I ordered the new MIG chrome Floyd online. From dealer to dealer the price differences were unreal. One wanted to charge an extra $34 for the R3 nut, which brought their price over $200. I ended up buying elsewhere for $179.

Comment

I think the cheapest I've seen them new was $169, so you didn't do bad. I don't understand how some dealers get away with charging over $200 for them...or, more importantly, why people pay that much for them.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  I think the cheapest I've seen them new was $169, so you didn't do bad. I don't understand how some dealers get away with charging over $200 for them...or, more importantly, why people pay that much for them.
                  I got it for $169, I included $10 2nd day shipping in the cost. Some dealers are really marking up. I don't know how they sell at those prices either.

Next is a big block...

Comment

Adam at Floyd Upgrades is great to deal with! He's less than 2 hours from me here in PA, so I get my shipments from him in no time. Should be real quick for you too.

Comment

Working...
                    X