Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Vintage Reissue strings

Has anyone ever tried these?

I have and I'm disappointed. And I mean DISAPPOINTED. They seem to have killed my guitar's tone - my Peavey HP Special has almost no balls at all, these awesome harmonics are gone and the sound is simply... dull? Ah, gotta mention that it also feels like the pickups have lost their gain...

On the other hand I'm starting to think that maybe it's just my imagination? :think: Can strings change so much in a guitar's tone? :<

Absolutely.

What were you using before?

Comment

I loved them when I used them on my late 70's Ibanez hollowbodied jazz box, but I only play the neck pickup with the tone on about 3 on that. I switched to flats for that guitar though, so that was my only experience with them. I would think they are fine if they fit your need (or rather, if your need requires them), but I don't think modern rock on solid bodies is where they're aimed in my admitedly limited experience with them.
      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

My strings turn vintage by themselves after a few months, no matter what brand i use

I also have a few relic-ed, they're for sale, bit higher price than normal strings, but it's as if you're buying 12 strings for the price of 8
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
          Absolutely.

What were you using before?
          I was using Rotosound's and Ernie Ball's but I wanted to change from 9's to 10's which I did. I wanted to get more of a "brutal" tone, I mean better defined lower end but also wanted to make highs a bit less trebly, and these strings were recommended by a shop assistant... F****in' moron.

Can you recommend me some strings that would fit my needs better than these?
          Thanks

Comment

Both Rotosound and EB make different types of strings - Reinforced Plain String, Pure Nickel, etc.

What strings specifically were you using?

And one would think anything Gibson named "Vintage Reissue" would mean "pre-1970", but maybe that's just me.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, as far as I remember I would use EB Super Slinky (9's) and normal Roto Pinks...
              These are most popular in Poland

So any ideas what I may like?

Comment

Some strings hit mellow, some hit hard and crunchy.

I like hard crunchy power. I use GHS Boomers (or Carvin-same thing).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Some strings hit mellow, some hit hard and crunchy.

I like hard crunchy power. I use GHS Boomers (or Carvin-same thing).
                  +1 to GHS
                  "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I haven't checked out these DR because I don't drop tune but they seem to aim at what you are looking for....

http://www.drstrings.com/catalog/ddt-electric-strings

The tite-fit, dimebag, or laiho sig sets could also deliver what you are looking for.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                    X