Dinky DXMG bridge tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky DXMG bridge tuning

Last week I bought a new DXMG. When observing the bridge carefully, I noticed that its surface isn't parallel to the guitar's body (it sinks towards the body, see attached picture). Should I open that back panel and loosen the 2 screws that hold the bridge in tension?

image link: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Yes. Re-tune and mess with the position of the screws until the bridge plate is parallel to the neck of the guitar. This will be frustrating and takes some time to get right, because the bridge is held parallel to the body by the string tension, which changes when you move those screws. Google "how to tune a Floyd Rose", there's lots of information out there.

Comment

Thanks.
      I also noticed that the saddled aren't in-line, does this matter somehow? I see each saddle has two major positions which I can determine with an Allen-key.
      If you'll look at the pic at my previous post, I'm referring to the Allen-bolt under the string and to the left of the saddle.

Comment

Intonation. Different string gauges and tunings will sometimes require adjustments. Seems like you've moved to a lighter string? Google it too, lots of good info on that too. If you don't know much about it, learn first. Time and patience help too.
        Last edited by Scooter; 07-28-2010, 06:31 PM.
        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

2 things - #1 Make sure you realize that as you raise the back of the bridge, your string height will be higher from the fretboard. You said "new", do you mean new to you? If so, The previous owner may have had it set up like that because they don't need alot of pull up on the trem and like the low action. So if you level the bridge, you may need some more adjusting to the way you like it.
          #2 - Back to the "new"... That's a JT580 (not LP). Did they ever come on DXMG's? I thought they all had JT580LP's..
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Mine is not a low profile bridge. I don't know for sure if any came that way. I think the DKMG does but it has active EMGs and an archtop.
            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

the saddles are for adjusting the intonation. you may notice that your open string isnt exactly the same note at the 12th/24th fret. there are two positions for the screws, but the saddle itself must be slid to perfect pitch. it can be a pain adjusting but once you get it its good. the plate of the trem should always be parallel to the body. a lil pull back isnt bad tho, some prefer it that way. if your guitar holds tune fine, then i'd say leave it. if it pulls sharp every time you use it then adjust as needed.

Comment

oh its been answered. anyway, i thought they all came with jt-580lp's also. i'm thinkin someone swapped it out cause the jt580 sits a lil farther back than a jt580lp. when i put a jt580lp on my stealth i had to shave the route a lil cause the front edge of the 580lp would rub.

Comment

Well I re-strung the guitar with D'Addario's EXL-120 (I got them complimentary from the store).
                  I YouTube'd a video about how to re-string a Floyd Rose and acted accordingly, but after doing so the bridge was once again to low so i had to release a few turns in the bridge's springs' screws. Accordingly, the guitar went flat and I had to tune it, but then I got into a never-ending game of trying to tune all strings, but when tuning one string all others go out of tune. What's the easy way out of this?

Comment

There is no easy way out, unless you block the trem. You may look into a tremsetter, lots of good reviews about it. Stringing and tuning a floyd is like playing your guitar, the more you practice, the better you get.
                    You need to take your time and not get frustrated, when you loosen or tighten the claw the strings will go out of tune, just re-tune each time until you find the spot where the bridge is level (parallel to the body) and the strings are in tune.
                    Being new to a floyd will take some time from you, but once you learn it, I doubt you'll forget.

Comment

If you can afford to do so, I would suggest you get a professional setup done on it.
                      Pick your string preference first though, because if you change string gauges, your setup will be off.
                      Once the pro setup is done, your intonation, action, etc will all be set up right, and it will be much easier for you to keep it that way.
                      When you change strings, it is easiest to change them one at a time, so you can avoid the headaches of getting the Floyd evened out again...
                      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

the way i do it is, i tune the guitar unlocked to what ever it wants to tune to. what i mean is the current tension is gonna cause the guitar to fall in near perfect tuning somewhere and hold decent. once i do that i inspect how the trem is sittin. sometime its pulled back, sometimes lifted. now if its lifted , but i'm tuned lower than i wanna be then no problem. tighten the spring claw evenly to my intended tuning and inspect again. if its still lifted then i tighten the spring claw to move the trem halfway to level which will make my tuning high. i compensate the remaining tension by tuning to what i wanted and it should be close to level. just make final adjustments then. should only be a few more minor ones. dont know if that helps or not. its alot easier than keep trying to tune what you want and adjust the springs. its alot more of back and forth that way....

Comment

Working...
                        X