schaller straplock tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schaller straplock tip

I've always had problems installing the schaller straplocks on the thicker leather straps. The problem I have is the straplock shaft is always bigger then the hole in the strap so it's trimming, squeezing, and swearing to get the things on. I was cruising the isles in a craft store waiting for my wife to get some stuff and found a leather punch there that works great. It's a tandy leather punch #14 size 3/8" and it works great to make the hole in the strap the same size as the straplock. It just slips on after that and tightens up nice and tight. I found a link to one on amazon so you can see what it looks like:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-.../dp/B0039GHR26

I think Schaller has a poor design with that nut to hold it on the strap as it could back off.
    Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Tip # 2.
      Throw them away and get Dunlop Straplocks. The Dunlops don't pull your hair.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've actually had a couple dunlops fail over the years and one of those times my guitar hit just right and snapped off the head stock so I don't use them anymore. With the punch the strap isn't too thick for schallers anymore because all the extra material from a big peg in a small hole is cut away. I've had a schaller fail as well but because the cup still held on my guitar didn't bounce off the floor - to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
          I've always had problems installing the schaller straplocks on the thicker leather straps. The problem I have is the straplock shaft is always bigger then the hole in the strap so it's trimming, squeezing, and swearing to get the things on. I was cruising the isles in a craft store waiting for my wife to get some stuff and found a leather punch there that works great.
          Yup, those things work wonders, I position it a little upwards so it takes less of the hole but bites a bit off the slit

:think:

"There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
            Yup, those things work wonders, I position it a little upwards so it takes less of the hole but bites a bit off the slit

:think:

I use a razor blade to cut the end of the slit and make the hole bigger. Then I can shove all kinds of stuff in there...

Yeah, I'm still talking about straps. :dunno:

The punch sounds like a cool idea though, next time I'm at the hobby/craft store I'll look one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
              Tip # 2.
              Throw them away and get Dunlop Straplocks. The Dunlops don't pull your hair.
              I've heard of several people having Dunlops fail through the years. I prefer the Schaller or DiMarzio Cliplock. Though, the Dual Design Dunlops are fine... just put the strap over the button and don't even worry about attaching the locking mechanism to the strap.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X