Duncan Classic Stacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Classic Stacks

Thinking about Custom/Classic stack/classic stack in a Soloist Pro. Maybe with a coil split too. How do you like 'em? They come in SL1's so I'm thinking they must be OK. I know the SL1's are alder and the Soloist Pro I'm playing with is poplar, but how does anyone who has the classic stacks for middle and neck like them? Want to try something different than the JB/Duckbucker/lil '59 in the model 6.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

I've got Classic Stacks in my SL1T. They are decent, but it you split the coils they sound much more authentic. Granted, that adds back the hum, but they sound *much* better. I installed a push-pull pot that allows me to run them normal or split depending in what I want at any given time. If I were buying separately, I would go with Classic Stack Plus pickups. They are supposed to sound better in noiseless mode.

Comment

I think I have classic stacks in a custom Charvel and I'm not a big fan. The tone is fine, but the volume drop compared to the bridge humbucker is too great..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

When I setup my Classic Stacks with a push-pull pot to switch between normal and split mode, I found it interesting that they are louder in split mode. Seemed odd, but I ran this by the folks on the Duncan forum and they confirmed that they are indeed louder in split mode vs noiseless mode. They blend with the bridge humbucker a lot better when split....and they sound better.......just have that darn harm, which kinda defeats their purpose.

Comment

The ones in my SL1 were awful! I replaced them with a lil'59 and Duckbuckers.

Comment

I love the sound of the JB/DB/lil59 in the Model 6. I have it setup with a push/pull on the vol, down is all normal HB, up is all 3 split withe the middle reverse. Perfect strat sound!! I'm definitely putting a custom in the Soloist but want to try something different for the singles. Maybe the classic stacks aren't what I'm looking for. Honestly I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Don't even know if I'm refinishing yet. I hate decisions... Thanks for the opinions!
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Big vol difference on my sl1T with Cl stacks too. The tones are sterile - no mojo - look for something else.

Comment

I like them. :dunno:

Comment

They're good for the jazz noises you make?

Comment

try the new YJM.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      try the new YJM.
                      Seconded. The YJM sounds great.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

I didn't like them. They didn't really sound like single coils but they didn't have the creamines of a humbucker. I didn't try to split them.

But I've tried the old Dimarzio Yngwie(tm) signatures and I thought they were good.

Comment

Working...
                        X