Pickup ring advice for RR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup ring advice for RR3

I have a 2004 RR3, black with chrome hardware. I want to replace the pickup rings with chrome rings to add to the chrome-on-black look.

I have been looking around for them and see that there are chromed plastic ones and chromed metal (like brass) ones. I am assuming the metal would be better, but don't know for sure.

The stock rings are both flat, with no taper, but are different heights. The bridge ring is roughly twice the thickness of the neck ring.

The only non-tapered chrome rings I can find are all the same thickness (looks thinner than the stock neck ring.) I can find tapered rings in the different thicknesses.

So my questions are:

1) Will it make a difference if I choose plastic or metal rings?
    2) Does it matter whether the rings are tapered or not?
    3) What effect does different height rings have?
    4) Is there anything else (like screw hole position or pickup size) I need to worry about before ordering?

Does anyone have any advice on which ones exactly I should order for this guitar?

Thanks for any help!!
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

1) Will it make a difference if I choose plastic or metal rings?

It probably wouldn't matter. But I don't know how long chrome looking plastic lasts. Metal would probably hold up better.

2) Does it matter whether the rings are tapered or not?

It probably wouldn't matter. They use a taper on guitars with a high bridge that has a neck angle. Though, my old Jackson has tapered rings with a Floyd. So, the pickup sits at an angle to the strings. I don't think it matters a whole lot. But you want the pickup to be parallel to the strings if you can. My new Jackson with Floyd has flat pickup rings. So the pickup is parallel to the strings which is better than on my old Jackson with Floyd.

3) What effect does different height rings have?

Usually the bridge pickup ring is higher as you tend to have more space from the strings to the body of the guitar there at the bridge than from the neck area to the body. The main thing is you want the pickup rings high enough so you can raise the pickup to where you want it. It just depends on the guitar cause a guitar like a Les Paul would have more of a gap than a Jackson with a Floyd.

4) Is there anything else (like screw hole position or pickup size) I need to worry about before ordering?

I would order from www.fretsonthenet.com/other_parts.htm. He does good work. He has what appears to be a chrome look on a metal pickup ring. I think he calls it polished. What you could do is take measurements and send that to him. Or sometimes you can just tell him what model guitar you have and sometimes he already has the measurements. Or you could ship him your pickup rings, and he'll copy it.

One thing he does that you could request. Is an inside taper on the ring. I think that makes it look better. You just have to tell him what pickup you have, and if it is regular or F spaced. You can see here the inside taper as it hugs the pickup:

Comment

Thanks for the info, unknown. I have checked out fretsonthenet.com, but that whole page is confusing to figure out what I need...
      Will have to check back in there, maybe send an email to ask.
      Last edited by DalyTek; 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
        Thanks for the info, unknown. I have checked out fretsonthenet.com, but that whole page is confusing to figure out what I need...
        Will have to check back in there, maybe send an email to ask.
        The best thing would be to mail in your rings so he can match them up when he makes them. Other than that. You could try e-mailing him telling him what model guitar you have. As he may already have a template. But it is fool proof if he has your actual rings in hand.

Comment

Dalytek - I'd be fairly positive that frestonthenet has a well used template for the rings you need. The polished aluminum should look as chrome as.. well.. chrome. Dave (he's a member here - budman68 I think) is a good dude. Just e-mail or call him and tell him what you need and he can get you fixed up.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I found a good deal on a set of flat chrome rings at GuitarFetish that I ordered. They got here today and fit perfect and look awesome.
            Unfortunately I broke the high E string when retuning it....gotta make a trip across town to get another set of Elixirs now.....
            Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Working...
            X