Pro mod floyd sitting high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro mod floyd sitting high?

I'm used to floating floyds, and I know dive only's will be a bit higher, but mine sits pretty high. My floyd's baseplate is 3/16" off the body. Doesn't really affect anything, it just takes a bit of time to adjust my picking hand, because its higher than all my other guitars. Is there anything that can be done to solve this?

I raised it up to prevent fret buzz, but its still going a bit on the low frets, if i get a floyd nut shim, will this help at all (Would I be able to relieve the buzz, but lower the bridge)?

Nut shims will only reduce buzz on open strings. If buzzing open strings is a problem, then yes, shim the nut.

Comment

To make sure you are talking about things in a way people will understand... Floating refers to changing pitch in both directions, dive-only refers to only lowering pitch. Those do not necessarily have anything to do with how high the tremolo sits off the face of the guitar.

The Pro Mod is a non-recessed floating tremolo from the factory. That means there's no recess to allow it to pull up, so exactly as you say, it's gonna sit up high off the face of the guitar. Some guys really like this (I like it sometimes, other times I don't).

Anyway, that capability comes from having an angle to the floor of the neck pocket. If you want the Floyd "flush mounted" or, in other words, sitting on the face of the guitar so that it is dive-only, then you will probably want to add a shim to the front of the neck pocket. That is, the side that you can see, opposite the very end of the neck. That will take a little angle out of the neck and let the bridge sit lower toward the face of the guitar.

Alternatively, you could have a good luthier route the neck pocket with less angle, but you could end up with a ruined guitar... So you'd definitely want to take it to someone who does quality work.

Like metalhobo is asking, it's important to know where is it buzzing. Like, what range of frets? That's where you need to start to determine what to adjust.
      Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM.

Comment

It's buzzing below the 7th fret, on the E and A strings.

Comment

Ah, OK. Well, raising the nut wouldn't do anything for that. It could be a few things but most likely it's back bowed slightly/too little relief... Sounds like you need to loosen the truss rod just a little.

Personally I like my necks really flat and live with "a little" buzz on the low strings (and also set my action a bit higher on the bass side, about 1.6 mm) but you might want to check your relief and see if you have any, or just very little relief, and if you don't have enough, loosen the truss rod 1/8 turn.

Comment

Adjust the bridge. Mine had the same problem, and I adjusted the bridge to center position, since it came with low action. also if you put stronger strings it will reduce the buzz

Comment

Originally posted by powermacho View Post
              also if you put stronger strings it will reduce the buzz
              How? By threatening the frets?

-------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                How? By threatening the frets?

That doesn't work with stainless steel frets, those things are hard as rocks and they know it.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  That doesn't work with stainless steel frets, those things are hard as rocks and they know it.

Comment

I did some truss tweaks and I made a nut shim. Things are definitely getting better, but te one buzz problem I still have is when I play on the E,A,and D, the string will hit the 22nd fret causing a zing kinda buzz. The buzz is definitely coming from the string hitting the 22nd. Is is something with that fret (too high) or is the solution to just keep cranking up the bridge?

Comment

How high is the action?

Comment

Working...
                      X