Dragonfire active pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonfire active pickups?

Does anyone have any experience with Dragonfire HCZ active pickups?

I put an EMG-81 in the bridge of my RR3, and need an active for the neck.

Originally, I was thinking either EMG-60 or EMG-85, but realized my finds won't allow it.
    Then I saw this Dragonfire HCZ 85A active humbucker, which is like a clone of the EMG-85.
    I have read mostly good things about them from the (limited) things I could find online.

The price is good ($34.95) so just wanted to see if anyone here has any real experience with these?
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

I've used the 81 version of the Dragon fire. Its sounds really good in my RG. Similar to an 18V 81. Really high output. I thought it has a pretty good tone.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know your experience, bootleg.

I went ahead and ordered the Dragonfire 85 and got it installed today.
      For anyone who's interested, I am very happy with it. It's got great output and tone.
      I have never used an actual EMG 85, so I cannot give a good accurate comparison there....
      But I d have an EMG 81 in the bridge position and put the DFG 85 in the neck, and they sound amazing together.
      I get good crunch and surprisingly good clean tones out of it.

There are only a couple things I don't like:
      1) It only comes with the pickup, 2 adjustment screws (black) and 2 springs. Does not come with tone pot, volume pot, stereo output jack, capacitor or 9V battery terminal.
      2) It does not use the quick connect wire assembly like EMG does. It has standard wire leads like normal passive pickups.
      3) The wiring instructions SUCK! No actual instructions or diagrams are given. They just print some very vague and hard to follow directions on a sticker that is applied to the box.

All-in-all it's a great pickup and more than worth the price. I am very happy.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
      X