One JT6 stringlock, sooo many questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One JT6 stringlock, sooo many questions

OK I've got three of these Taiwanese stringlock jobs, and all of them have completely different parts.

Two of them have these slotted screwdriver locknuts. On one, the slots are apparantly designed for a quarter to be used as a tool (based upon what I've read in other threads). On the other, the slots are pretty narrow and require a flat blade screwdriver (a pain in the ass, really).

The questions:

- Did Jackson really change the part over time, or was the one widened by somebody after it left the factory?

- Is is possible to widen the narrow one? That would seem to require some delicate filing, probably a little trickier than what I can pull off.

I know Budman sell the ones with hex bolts. That's a decent option I suppose.

The slotted screws I’ve come across were the same size. IIRC, Grover said he made them wide enough to lock w a penny, though I found that fairly tight and used a dime. Honestly, I couldn’t get enough torque with either. It was even tough getting leverage w a screwdriver. Do the wider ones have any paint removed indicating they were modded? Since I didn’t want to pack around a screwdriver in my case, I eventually swapped out the screws for allen-style ones. It’s much easier using an allen wrench. Budman sells em, but they’re pretty easy to get in most hardware stores. If they’re a tad long, you can trim em with a cutting wheel for a drill.

The main prob w these locking nuts is the housing metal is so soft, strings easily create grooves preventing them from locking, especially the G string. I’ve swapped them out with the Kahler branded ones, which are much better metal and hold up way longer.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I can't really tell if it was modded. A quarter give semi-decent leverage, but I can't imagine using a dime or penny. Lame!

Comment

Axe, thanks for giving me a reason to break out my new digital calipers! On my screw locks thew were all wide, like you said. They measure 1/16 wide and also 1/16 the deep. I ended up replacing them with Budman's aftermarket screw locks and pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
          Axe, thanks for giving me a reason to break out my new digital calipers! On my screw locks thew were all wide, like you said. They measure 1/16 wide and also 1/16 the deep. I ended up replacing them with Budman's aftermarket screw locks and pads.
          Interesting, thanks. I'll prolly just go ahead and get replacements. I was just curious what the deal is with them.

Comment

Yes, the locking nut on my Model 6 is badly worn on the D, G, and E strings - is there a replacement available without modding the guitar?
            Audioize!

Comment

Originally posted by Audioize View Post
              Yes, the locking nut on my Model 6 is badly worn on the D, G, and E strings - is there a replacement available without modding the guitar?
              Hey Jon, try Budman (Dave) at http://www.fretsonthenet.com/

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/hardwar...k_Replacements
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Fretsonthenet shows no longer available!
                Audioize!

Comment

I just checked the site and it's up and running.

Comment

Yeah I ordered some hex ones from Budman. Fuggedaboutit!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                      I just checked the site and it's up and running.

The site is up, but he stopped making the replacement lock blocks for the JT-6 stringlock.

Comment

ah, got it. Good thing I got some while the gettin' was good.

Comment

Working...
                        X