sh or tb pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sh or tb pickups

in a dkmg? I ordered one with the hz's..If i dont like them im either going to get a 85/60 set..or go with a jb/jazz, and make it a dxmg with an afterburner and rosewood board haha...

what spacing is needed on a jb though? a sh4 or a tb4?

thanks!

You'll want the TB version if you want the polepieces to line up perfectly with the strings, but it's no catastrophy if you end up with the SH either. In most cases there's not much of a difference.

Comment

I'd go with a TB almost always. Especially on a guitar with a Floyd. My SL1T (fixed bridge) even came with a TB.

It's not only aesthetics, but the volume of the E strings can be affected as well if the poles are too far out of alignment. As an example, I have an ESP GL-56 (George Lynch signature model Strat clone) and it has a standard spaced Pearly Gates Custom Shop in the bridge and the E strings are outside of the pole pieces. They are noticeably lower in volume when playing clean or low gain. When playing with higher gain it doesn't matter as much because the compression from gain will most likely even things out

Comment

well I put a sd sh2n into the neck on my ibanez last night, it has a trem on it but the only model i could find of the jazz2 was a sh,, wonder if this will be a problem

Comment

I was asking a similar question about this previously. The WR1 comes stock with an SH-8 in the bridge, yet I'm told to go for a TB-"xx" when asking about other pickups to replace it.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The neck position it shouldn't be required to use "F" or trem spaced pickups because the strings are a little closer together than at the bridge, due to the nut being more narrow than the bridge.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

First, keep in mind that F-Spaced (DiMarzio) is not quite as wide as a "Trembucker" (Duncan) but both are intended to be used with a Floyd or similar-spaced bridge (wider than a Gibson Nashville or TOM.)

For a Floyd-equipped guitar it's better to use a bridge pickup that is "F-spaced" (DiMarzio) or a "Trembucker" (the TB-XX model, versus the SH-XX model) so the pole pieces are better aligned with the strings.

For the NECK pickup, I would NOT use a Trembucker, however if you are using a 1-11/16" nut or wider you could use an F-spaced pickup in the neck.

So, basically, regular-spaced neck and Tremolo-spaced bridge. If using DiMarzio on wider nut widths you can use F-spaced neck, too, but you don't NEED to at all.
              Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM.

Comment

so i suppose i leave the sh2n in the neck position and use a tr4 jb for the bridge..

wow lol kinda confusing haha!

thanks guys for the help

Comment

You got it!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    ...both are intended to be used with a Floyd or similar-spaced bridge (wider than a Gibson Nashville or TOM.)
                    Partially correct. "F-spacing" originally indicated "Fender spacing", as the Fender bridges had wider spacing than the Gibson bridges - a trait that the Floyd inherited, being a trem of a similar type and all that.

Humbuckers traditionally followed the Gibson spacing, since Fenders traditionally came with singlecoils (yeah, etc, blah blah).

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      Partially correct.
                      Oh come on... I didn't say they were invented for the Floyd Rose.

I said they are intended to be used with a Floyd or similar-spaced bridge, wider than a Gibson Nashville or TOM. There is nothing partially correct about that, just because I didn't include the Fender tremolo specifically, that's one of the "similarly-spaced" bridges... :dunno:

We could go on about how "Trembucker" is a stupid name because the hardtails were too wide for standard-spaced humbuckers, too.

Comment

Tom?

Comment

The Invader is not offered in a trembucker spacing because the pole pieces are so large they will cover the range no matter what the bridge is. And F spaced pickups did originally refer to Fender tremolo spacing, wider than on Gibson's bridge.
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                            Tom?
                            Tune-O-Matic.

Comment

Gibson TOM bridges (at least some of them), as well as Jackson TOM bridges seem to be F-spaced nowadays.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X