Plastic Mounting Rings Versus Ringless Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Mounting Rings Versus Ringless Setups

After dealing with plastic humbucker mounting rings chipping and breaking I like the idea of mounting humbuckers directly to the wood like single coil pups are often mounted. I suppose I could buy steel rings, but I like the ringless look, too.

What do you like and why?

I guess it depends on the guitar, but I normally prefer humbuckers in a mounting ring. It's a visual thing more than anything else.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      I guess it depends on the guitar, but I normally prefer humbuckers in a mounting ring. It's a visual thing more than anything else.

sully
      I think a lot this has to do with tradition. Not many people want a ring around their single coil pups on a superstrat, but they usually don't come that way...

Comment

I definitely like rings. It's easier to get the pickups where you need them, looks cleaner, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
          I think a lot this has to do with tradition. Not many people want a ring around their single coil pups on a superstrat, but they usually don't come that way...
          Agreed, I think singles in rings look weird as hell...

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            Agreed, I think singles in rings look weird as hell...

Sully
            Stomach-turning weird--like orthopedic shoes.

Are ringless humbuckers more likely to have issues with being bumped/moving around, hitting the strings, etc.?

Comment

I like the looks of the direct mount humbuckers, but you need really precise pup routes that are cleanly painted to pull it off.

Comment

My pinky finger of my picking hand likes the pickup ring. I use the face of the guitar, the ring and the pickup itself as a set a of steps - so to speak - that my pinky rests on. I never realized it till I tried had a guitar with direct-mounted pickups and tried to figure out why it felt so weird. I don't anchor my pinky they there, but use it as a quick reference to as a zero point, liking getting back to homebase.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I like pickup rings. Though I only like humbuckers.

This guy makes good pickup rings:

www.fretsonthenet.com/other_parts.htm

I like how he can do an inside taper on the ring to match the pickup:

Comment

I think certain guitars, like the EBMM Axis (EVH) look right with direct mount pickups. Others don't.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Direct mounted imo looks great on natural finishes, on painted guitars I find it miss or maybe
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by unknown View Post
                        I like pickup rings. Though I only like humbuckers.

This guy makes good pickup rings:

www.fretsonthenet.com/other_parts.htm

I like how he can do an inside taper on the ring to match the pickup:

I haven't utilized his services, but everyone says he does really good work. I think he might actually be a member here. Can't recall. That is a cool looking pickup ring though. What is it going on?
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Yup... Dave = fretsonthenet.com = budman68 on JCF
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                          X