EMG Pickups Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG Pickups Question(s)

I'm looking at EMG 81's or 81-X's for my KE2 and wonder if you guys have any thoughts on these. All feedback (haha) is appreciated.

I have a KE3 that I recently put a pair of regular EMG 81's in and I love it. Then again I have EMG's in 7 of my guitars. I just put the 81 in the neck position after I wired it up because I had it laying around as a spare for another guitar. I then ordered a 60 and ended up liking the 81 in the neck better in that guitar I just kept the 60 for another one. Different pickups of course will sound different in different guitars. But on a bolt on Kelly, the 81 sounded perfect in the neck (all IMO of course)
    Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
    http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Lots of folks prefer the 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge. I'd say get both and swap them around to see what suits you best.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sweet coolness. I think I'll try the 81 first, gonna go ahead and pick one up after work tonite. Will prolly get the 85 and try it, too, when I can.

Newc - I love your signature saying about departing the way you arrived. That's awesome!

Comment

If you wire up the EMG using the quick connectors you can easily swap in different EMG models (or even SD Blackouts) if the mood strikes you.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I read elsewhere the blackouts don't use the same connectors..
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I think the 81x is tamer . Id go with the 81 .

Comment

Originally posted by Annah View Post

Newc - I love your signature saying about departing the way you arrived. That's awesome!
                Thanks. Wish I'd thought of it, but I stole it off someone at another forum
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  I read elsewhere the blackouts don't use the same connectors..
                  According to a post on this thread, they work fine... http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...d.php?t=192707

"Same thing here. I have a Jackson SLSMG with EMG 81/85 and simply swapped them out and put in my Blackouts Metal in the bridge and Livewire Classic II in the neck using the existing EMG wiring and haven't had any issues.

Quick connect = 10 minute and I was done and restrung."
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have an 81-60 in a KV2, I also have SD Blackouts for same guitar that I swap in and out of when I change strings, hell I have run a Blackout and an EMG in said guitar at the same time . Now for some reason neither one of them sound very good in the guitar but if I had to pick one over the other I would say the EMG's sound better......In another guitar I have an 81x-85x they are in a NAMM Warrior and I think they actually sound really good, they are alot less shrilley then the other two and they have more of a natural sound w/out loosing their trademark punch and crunch; they arent a bad pup overall hell I havent changed them out yet .

Comment

I can't fugging stand the EMG-81, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless I'd want to sabotage their tone.

Comment

The 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck is the way I go. An 81 works okay in the bridge of a mahogany guitar or if you're tuning to D or lower, IMO.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          The 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck is the way I go. An 81 works okay in the bridge of a mahogany guitar or if you're tuning to D or lower, IMO.
                          +1

85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck...great set up!

Comment

Great info! Thanks! (and a hearty LOL to Sunbane) Last night I picked up an EMG 81 on my way home and installed it into my KE2. Had to do some cavity excavation in the corners to get it to fit, and file down the chrome pickup rings, but once installed, I LOVE IT!!! I will be testing it out with my JCM2000 tonight at rehearsal. Hoping it sounds good via the Lead channel (super saturated), but may continue to use the MPX G2 with it. Am pondering a Triple Rec, but am also leaning towards a rack-mountable 50/50 or 100/100 amp.

FWIW - if you guys wanna check out the band I'm in: http://www.myspace.com/ebomb There will be more pics and vid w/me in the band after our show Aug 7th. I'm Xphyxia, btw.

Comment

Put an 85 in there, and you will love it even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X