How to Shorten OFR String Clamp Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Shorten OFR String Clamp Screws

I wanted to put an OFR in a Washburn Dimebolt 333 and realized the clamp screws that hold the strings onto the bridge were too long to fit in the trem route and would eventually damage the top of the guitar. These screws can be shortened and here’s a brief tutorial on one way of doing it.

Last edited by Trussrod; 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM.

Awesome! I actually never figured it would be so easy to do it, since I automatically thought "machine lathe". Great idea to use a die to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      Awesome! I actually never figured it would be so easy to do it, since I automatically thought "machine lathe". Great idea to use a die to do it!
      Thanks Sunbane--glad you liked it. I have a lot of tools and enjoy tinkering.

Comment

I did basically the same thing a while ago as well when I needed to shorten them. Worked great! Never figured out why they make them so damn long, theres no reason for it, even intonation wise!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

They're to long...?

Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
          http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Originally posted by CKJ View Post
            They're to long...?
            They are on mine, but I'm using a 1980's OFR. The trem route on my guitar is for an OFR, not a 580-style base plate. Here's a pic to compare. Where and when was your Dimebolt made?

Comment

Damn... I wish mine was routed for a OFR rather than the Washburn 600-S. It drives me insane looking at them (both Dimeslime & Dimebolt). Both of my 333 guitars were made in 98. As for the location I'm not aware, any tips on how you tell?
              Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

Last year I did a search on "Dimebolt" on the Washburn forum and found pages of posts on Dime's signature models. There is a link on the Washburn site that helps date and identify the general location the guitars were made. IIRC mine was made in Malaysia. I really like the fact I can drop in an OFR but I like the tone I get with the stock trem. I did end up switching the original block to a brass block from an OFR. Sounds great now even with the stock pups.

Comment

Just looked it up, it says if its has the S infront of the serial number then its made in the Samick factory in Korea. Which both of my 333's have the S.
                  Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

Ummmm...

Why bother to shorten them???

Dime says: 'We don't need no stinkin' shortnin' .'

Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
                      Why bother to shorten them???

Dime says: 'We don't need no stinkin' shortnin' .'
                      Lol.

Comment

Just adding a few phrases to help this thread show up in google searches. Had a bitch of a time finding it.

shorter string lock screw
                        shorter floyd string lock screw
                        shorten string lock screw
                        shorten floyd string lock screw

This method should also work to shorten the original screws, but if you shorten them a whole lot you may need to use the die to add more threads toward the head of the bolt.

Comment

I can't verify that these screw would work, but it looks like they might? They have Metric M4 socket cap screws in multiple lengths. Thoughts?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=axlb2t

Comment

It's not really the length that's the problem with new screws, the shorter length is readily available. It's finding that length with the tip turned down to fit the blocks.
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                            X