Identify this mystery pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this mystery pickup

OK I bought a "J-100" from a seller on the bay. It arrived with the correct Jackson logo'd cover, but doesn't look right. Here's a pic. The one on the left in a bonifide J-100. This mystery pup is taller, the cover doesn't really fit right, and it ohms out at 13 ohms (twice the value I would expect). Double stacked? Is this even a Jackson pickup?? The construction looks somewhat Jackson-ish. As you can see, there are no markings. At least I only paid $10 for it.

Yeah definitely double stacked. Although there are only two wires, I can read 6 ohms over to that third contact point. Odd that there is no lead to it...

Comment

Here it is with the cover all the way on. That shit ain't right...is it???

Comment

You've confused me, is it measuring 6 or 13 ohms? You said both. What do you mean it only has 2 wires? So does your J-100 on the left? Looks like a Jackson pickup from the later years, not an original USA made/wound pickup. Came on the later generation imports. So it's a Jackson, but not like the original.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          You've confused me, is it measuring 6 or 13 ohms? You said both. What do you mean it only has 2 wires? So does your J-100 on the left? Looks like a Jackson pickup from the later years, not an original USA made/wound pickup. Came on the later generation imports. So it's a Jackson, but not like the original.
          Across the black wire and the white wire, it is 13 ohms. But if you look at the 2nd pic, there is a third contact point on the left side without a lead attached. From this contact to the black wire, it is 6 ohms and from this contact point to the white wire it is 6 ohms. I'm assuming if you soldered a lead to it, you could wire up a coil tap. Just guessing really, never seen that before.

Comment

This may not help but I do know dimarzio stacked singles I have are taller and have taller covers. Did Jackson ever use a single that was "dimarzio designed"?
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

OK, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I'd have to say that's splitting the coils to one then, giving you about half the output.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

So far the only jackson single coils I've been able to learn about are j100/j200/j200r. This is not any of those.

Comment

It might just be wound extra tall, unless you've removed the tape and can see two separate coils. In that case it should still be a J200 (indicating number of coils rather than design spec e.g. 100 = 1 coil, 200 = 2 coils).

Then again, if it's a J100S the "S" could mean "Stack" for hum-cancelling purposes, just before the J200 was dropped (since covered/sealed pickups like the J200 cost more to make than an open-coil).
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ok a friend informs me he had a 1992 usa soloist with a jackson double stacked single coil with exposed pole pieces. There would seem to be another model floating around out there...

Comment

So...there are two sightings of Jackson double stacked single coils with exposed pole pieces...anyone got a clue here as to what is going on? Bueller?

Comment

Working...
                      X