Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEVER do this.....

:think:
    I'm still confused....fuggen teenagers.....

Lil' background first.
    I had a PS4 I picked up a few years ago, loved the neck, but alas, I let my wifes cousin buy it from me. It's one of those 'I wish I hadn't sold that' type things. I told him if he needs anything done, come see me first, my limited capabilities might be of some use. He first put a Drop Sonic in it, no problem, nice lil pup, needed adjusted, and the wiring was done OK. This was by a friend of mine who works in a music store, but his work is sometimes questionable due to a habit I won't discuss.
    Anywho, he had a problem with the bridge, the trem arm was coming loose. I told him it's probably the 'Dimebag' squeals he likes so well (and does them VERY well) and needs tightened up. Instead of bringing it to me, he goes to another guys house and this is the fix they came up with together:

I found him an OFR for $150 with no nut, didn't need it, but I did't have a router, and the cavity for the string lock screws was a HAIR short. I told him it needed routed around 1/8" to work. He goes to another friends house, and they took a dremel to it, ARRRRGH! They took out 1/2" !! Screw it, I charged him $50 for being a dumbass, and made it playable again.

Pics are a bit fuzzy, but you can see the 'work.' It was resealed with fuggen 'hooker' blue acrylic nail polish! I explained there is a difference between shit and shinola, and this was shit. (pardon my language, but DAMN!)
    Now his boss wants me to work on a Platinum BC Rich warlock. Its a basket case, but I think I can make it playable too, even if it is plywood. Pics will come on it in a couple of weeks.
    If your floyd bar comes loose, tighten the #!%$&@ up!
    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Did they weld the arm collar to the base plate? Why didn't they just get a new collar/bar assembly? Seems like they are all interchangeable to me.

The FR clamp screws in the bottom pic can be shortened. I might post a few pics in a new thread. I shortened two screws to fit the route in a Washburn Dimebolt. There was no need for ANY routing. If that guitar's intonation (in the pic) was set all of the clamp screws could have been shortened to fit within the existing route.

It's pretty much a disaster at this point... I think now you have to route the damaged area and paint the route black.

Comment

Yep, welded. 7018 stick to be exact. I explained about getting a new collar/arm, but being a teen, had no money, wanted it fixed, and there ya go. He says it 'worked' for him. (this was about 2 years ago though)
      I explained about shortening the screw(s) too, but his reply was something about 'not on my brand new trem your not!' I practically begged him to wait, but this cat was in a major hurry. I about cried when I saw the results. With the intonation set, the E string screw would have barely been on the edge, maybe 1/16". There are drunk-bumps, chips, nicks and bangs all over the finish, the neck has a few places in it too. Another reason 'I shoulda never sold it.' It was perfect when he got it. Now it's junk with a Floyd.
      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
        With the intonation set, the E string screw would have barely been on the edge, maybe 1/16".
        IMO after the intonation is set the clamp screws can be shortened to fit completely under the base plate. You wouldn't even be able to see them by looking at the bridge directly from above. You'll get the same tuning range since that's dictated by the length of the thumb screws.

I've (damaged) modded guitars when I was young but can't say I ever used an arc welder on one.

Another one for the wood pile...

Comment

Even I put loctite on mine rather than breaking out the mig/stick

I later replaced it with one of those push in style.
          Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
          http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

How exactly do you shorten lock screws?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              How exactly do you shorten lock screws?
              I took some pics and uploaded them, now I have to type up the post. After I start the thread I'll put a link here. Shortening the screws is easy, it's removing the threads/machining the tip that takes some effort.

Comment

Somebody said in another post (about a month or so ago maybe??) that someone was making shorter bolts so you could use an OFR in a Schaller route. IIRC, one of the aftermarket stores like guitarfetish or something..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I broke the collar on my OFR a few years ago. Took it to my tech, and he fixed it perfectly with a new part. I feel bad for the kid (and worse for the guitar), but unless you have a good go-to guitar guy around, it might seem like the right solution.

Speaking of this, though, does anyone know if Floyd baseplates are sold individually anywhere? Most stock Floyd parts tend to be garbage and there are better aftermarket replacements, but I don't see any way to build one without purchasing a full trem first. All the other parts have been improved and are available somewhere, maybe there's a patent issue with the baseplates or something?

Comment

Yup, here -> http://www.prorockgear.com/ofrshimsplates.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                      I love you.

Comment

Here's the thread on shortening screws: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/108...02#post1362602

Comment

haha no problemo

Comment

Working...
                          X