Best PUP for Guitar with an Ash Body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best PUP for Guitar with an Ash Body?

I have a guitar with an ash body. I’ve tried a few Duncan pups in the bride position—including a Duncan Custom—to try to beef up the tone when I use distortion, but I haven’t found a pup that works well so far. Any recommendations?

Last edited by Trussrod; 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM.

Did you try a Custom Custom?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Tone Zone might be worth a shot, I like the one in my Ash-bodied Warmoth guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
        Did you try a Custom Custom?
        No, because IIRC it has less bass than the DC and this guitar really needs more bass.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          Tone Zone might be worth a shot, I like the one in my Ash-bodied Warmoth guitar.
          Exactly what I was thinking, Jazzy! I thought the TZ was a heavy pup. I'll look into it.

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Aside from the Tone Zone, I'd also recommend the AT-1 (Andy Timmons) or Air Zone (more of a vintage version of the TZ)...all three are tweaked a bit more to the bass and midrange areas to compensate a brighter wood such as ash.

Comment

+1 on the Tone Zone. I just put one in my ash star and it kills.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll start looking for a TZ.

@Rebel: It's been a long time since I've considered using an SD. Last time I used one was in the 80's. Not my favorite pup...

@6string: I didn't know there was an AT sig pup. Interesting...

@Plon: Thanks for sharing your opinion. From what I've read on the JCF you do great work!

Comment

Dimarzio Super3 - love it in my ash/maple prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                      No, because IIRC it has less bass than the DC and this guitar really needs more bass.
                      Does it need more bass or less of the rest?
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Tone Zone or Super Distortion. I do have the Super Distortion/Super 2 combo in my swamp ash Carvin SC90, and they work well. The Super 2 is brighter, but I like my neck pickups on the brighter side.
                        A Super 3 should be a good bridge pup for ash, too.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

@Trem: I'll have to read up on the Super 3. Youtube demos are pretty useful, too.

@Nightbat: It has a lot of treble and not much bass so I'm trying to add as much bass as I can.

Thanks, Toejam--another vote for the Super 3.

Comment

The super 3 in ash is great, well with mine it's hard ash and maple neck so quite bright,
                            it tamed the ping but keeps the spank and adds a lot of girth and punch, midrange/bass.

btw, i paired it with a liquidfire and they worked perfectly for what i was trying to achieve, more bark less bite with smoother neck tones.
                            With the wood combination still plenty of pick attack brightness and cut's thru... everything.
                            With any other wood i don't know if i would like it as much?

Comment

yep...the Liquifire is super clear...great neck pup

Comment

Working...
                              X