Maple Fret Board Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Fret Board Finish

What type of finish is on a maple fret board? I know gun stock Tru-oil is popular for the back of the neck but what finishes are common on the actual fret board when it's maple? I have an fb where some of the finish has worn off and would like to touch up those small areas. Seems like raw maple gets dirty quickly and really shows dirt.

TIA

Tru Oil is a great finish for the whole neck, if it's a maple board.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
      What type of finish is on a maple fret board?
      Depends what brand of guitar it is. Charvel uses gunstock oil, Fender uses a clear high gloss. Some companies like Carvin use tung oil (though, they used to use a matte satin gloss).
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Tru Oil is a great finish for the whole neck, if it's a maple board.
        I thought it might be too soft. I have some Tru-oil sitting around so I might have to try it.

I really thought polyurethane would be a common finish for maple.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Depends what brand of guitar it is. Charvel uses gunstock oil, Fender uses a clear high gloss. Some companies like Carvin use tung oil (though, they used to use a matte satin gloss).
          Is it lacquer or polyurethane? I wouldn't be surprised if Fender has used both at different times.

Comment

I'm sure companies have and still use both lacquer and poly. I prefer a raw, oiled neck such as tung oil or tru oil for feel. If you're in an area with a lot of temp and humidity changes and want low maintenance, maybe go with a poly or lacquer finish. You can get nitro lacquer in spray cans here.

Comment

Tru Oil is not really and truly an oil finish, not like Tung Oil or other oil finishes. It's a hard finish and holds up pretty well. The Pro Mods are a "gun stock oil" (Tru Oil) finish all-over, fingerboard and neck back.

Based on how easy it is to apply and how well it holds up and feels, I really think Tru Oil is a winner for a maple neck. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                Tru Oil is not really and truly an oil finish, not like Tung Oil or other oil finishes. It's a hard finish and holds up pretty well. The Pro Mods are a "gun stock oil" (Tru Oil) finish all-over, fingerboard and neck back.

Based on how easy it is to apply and how well it holds up and feels, I really think Tru Oil is a winner for a maple neck. :dunno:
                I've read about the added hardeners that make it better than pure linseed oil. It is a nice finish and it couldn't be easier to apply.

Comment

Working...
                X