Dealer setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer setups

I'm looking at getting a DK2S. Can anyone recommend a dealer who gives good setups on Jacksons with Floyds? As I say it would be a good idea to get the guitar from a dealer who will check the guitar out and put some new strings on it and who knows how to set it up properly.

I'd probably be looking at the lowest action with no fret buzz.

I don't know what dealer may be better than another... This is just my personal opinion and some others have said so before... When you buy a new production guitar (or used that hasn't had any work done), I've noticed that maybe the first thing I see that needs some work is the frets. Not a ton of work, but just some refining. I'd guess that it's from the changes in climate, shipping, etc. since it left the factory so I'm not saying the factory builds are bad, just different by the time it gets to you. So you may look for a place that'll give you a good deal on a level/crown/polish before you get it from them. Just seems to me like the difference between a good playing guitar and butter in my hands..
    Outside of that, I get the opinion that the sponsoring shops here are pretty good in their dealings with others.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I don't know anything about DK2S. I know the 5 USA jacksons I have played and felt great straight out of the shipping box. I didn't and haven't touched the truss rods or adjusted the action. I did fine tune the intonations at strings changes - which were minor.
      If you can find a dealer near you that would order/have the guitar and you could try the guitar and let them know what you want in the set-up, I would think they would have no problem doing it. That assumes it is a good dealer with qualified people. This means any of the dealers/sponsors on this site and not the big chain stores - Musiciansfriend, Sam ash, Guitar Center, etc.

Comment

It's a fairly "generic" setup from the factory or an online dealer because of climate differences and player preferences. If they actually adjusted it for the lowest possible action without fret buzz, it's possible it would arrive at your door with the strings laying on the frets. :dunno:

You really need to find a good setup guy near you (or learn to do it yourself) if you are really looking to get the best out of the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          It's a fairly "generic" setup from the factory or an online dealer because of climate differences and player preferences. If they actually adjusted it for the lowest possible action without fret buzz, it's possible it would arrive at your door with the strings laying on the frets. :dunno:

You really need to find a good setup guy near you (or learn to do it yourself) if you are really looking to get the best out of the guitar.
          There is only one small guitar shop near me, but I'm not sure if they can set up guitars. Or if they can, how many they have set up. So it would probably be better in that case to let the guy at GC do the set up who does them everyday. Though, that is an hour away, but there is a mom and pop guitar shop there that may know what they are doing, but I'd have no idea.
          Last edited by unknown; 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I've got a few places I'm checking around.
            Last edited by unknown; 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

sweetwater did a fairly good setup on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by mobiusr View Post
                sweetwater did a fairly good setup on mine.
                How much did that cost, or was it a part of that 55 point inspection?

It does look like they check the guitar over, but you have to wonder sometimes. As alot of auto shops advertise multi point inspections, but don't really inspect anything.

Sweetwater inspections:

www.sweetwater.com/feature/buy_guitars/55pointevaluation.php

Comment

I've bought guitars from Sweetwater, it wasn't set up any better or worse than any other USA Jackson I've bought.

The Mom & Pop store might be worth checking out. Besides, it's not like you're going to get one setup and the guitar is going to be awesome forever, it will require seasonal adjustments and such.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    I've bought guitars from Sweetwater, it wasn't set up any better or worse than any other USA Jackson I've bought.

The Mom & Pop store might be worth checking out. Besides, it's not like you're going to get one setup and the guitar is going to be awesome forever, it will require seasonal adjustments and such.
                    Yeah, I figured it would be nice to get it checked out and get a good setup at the start.
                    Last edited by unknown; 07-26-2010, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Dealer setups are irrelevant because Jacksons ship with 9's and everybody plays 10's.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        Dealer setups are irrelevant because Jacksons ship with 9's and everybody plays 10's.
                        Haha. I've played on 9's for over 10 years. I'm having them put on GHS Boomers 9-42 when they set it up. Those are the strings I use. Have been thinking of trying the Elixir Nanoweb 9-42.

Though, when you have the dealer set it up. You can have them put on whatever string gauge you want.

Comment

Steve's Music in Toronto is where I get mine initially setup (because it's free and i'm lazy) I do a much better job.

Gear Music is Oakville is better, ask for Keith.

Of course, this is if you're in the area...

EDIT: Steve's is free with the purchase of a guitar.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

I know this isn't what you asked but you really should learn how do you own set-ups. There is really no black magic to it... if you have to adjust the truss rod, just go gently with it... if you feel resistance, don't force it. Ipaid to have a guitar set up about 10 or so years ago and I was not happy. That was the last set-up I ever paid for.
                            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                              I know this isn't what you asked but you really should learn how do you own set-ups. There is really no black magic to it... if you have to adjust the truss rod, just go gently with it... if you feel resistance, don't force it. Ipaid to have a guitar set up about 10 or so years ago and I was not happy. That was the last set-up I ever paid for.
                              I think it's best to have someone who knows what they are doing teach you how to set up a guitar. Then let you do a bunch and have them check it to see how well you did. But if there isn't anyone close by, then you don't have much luck learning how to set up a guitar as I believe it takes training.

But can you recommended a DVD or website that goes over in depth setting up a Floyd guitar? I'd be willing to check that out even though I still think you need someone in person showing you what to do.

Though, my Jackson I've had for 10 years only got one set up, and even when I got that, I didn't notice any difference. The main thing I was interested in was the initial check out of the guitar, and a setup at the get go.
                              Last edited by unknown; 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X