New Pickup Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pickup Suggestions

So my TB4 and my SH2 arent quite cutting it for me. Mostly the SH2 is but i decided to use some Dimarzio in my Kelly. I picked out some bridge choices. I play mostly Megadeth stuff but i tend to go play Dream Theater type of stuff.

D Sonic
    Crunch Lab
    D Activator
    D Activator-X
    Steve's Special

Is a D Sonic/crunchlab Good for the thrash/progessive metal thing i do?

Also Can you also help me find a Neck with output but has a nice and clear sound to it?

Thanks,

MobiusR

What don't you like about the TB4? That might help a little.

I have not tried any of those pickups so I can't really comment... But I do like the Tone Zone and Super Distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      What don't you like about the TB4? That might help a little.

I have not tried any of those pickups so I can't really comment... But I do like the Tone Zone and Super Distortion.

I just want to try something different to be honest. The SH2 isnt cutting for me though.

Comment

I decided on a D sonic and a air norton pickup combo. Since im using a KE3 do i need a F space in the neck???

Comment

Originally posted by mobiusr View Post
          I decided on a D sonic and a air norton pickup combo. Since im using a KE3 do i need a F space in the neck???
          Floyd spaced pups make more sense in the bridge position than in the neck. I don't think it changes the sound at all. It's just to have the pup's poles line up under the strings. I have non-f spaced duncans in the neck on two floyded Jackson guitars and the poles are close to the strings so IMO you don't need it for the neck, but it will look a lot better for a bridge pup.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
            Floyd spaced pups make more sense in the bridge position than in the neck. I don't think it changes the sound at all. It's just to have the pup's poles line up under the strings. I have non-f spaced duncans in the neck on two floyded Jackson guitars and the poles are close to the strings so IMO you don't need it for the neck, but it will look a lot better for a bridge pup.
            Well there is a set of D sonic and Air nortons with a color i like on ebay and both are F Spaced. Also is there a neck version of the air norton or is it just a bridge pickup?

Comment

I have used F-spaced neck pickups and they line up fine with an R3 nut/Floyd bridge. I was kinda iffy on that, too - I would rather not use a Trembucker in the neck, but F-spaced works great (F-spaced is slightly narrower than a Trembucker.)

There is only one Air Norton and it can be used neck or bridge, you just match it up accordingly (neck pickups are typically weaker than the bridge pickup you pair them with, because the neck position doesn't need as much pickup to produce the same output.)

Comment

I like the Crunch Lab more than the D Sonic...with both of them, depending upon how you mount them (solid bar toward the bridge or neck) it will give you different tonalities. I would not recommend the Steve's Special unless you have a very midrangey amp or guitar as it has a 'scooped' eq to it already. I've not used any of the D Activators and I haven't really heard much (good or bad) about them.

For the neck, the Air Norton is a great choice, but I prefer the LiquiFire in the neck, especially if you are using the Crunch Lab in the bridge. It is a rather high output sound to it and it has a lot of clarity for a neck pickup...does not muddy up at all in my experience. I actually prefer the Air Norton in the bridge for a moderate output 80's (think Lynch) type of vibe.

Similar to what Jazzy said, Dimarzio typically doesn't wind each pickup model differently for placement, i.e., one for bridge, one for neck as Duncan does a lot. Usually, this is done only on signature pickups for Dimarzio (like the Evo/Evo N, Breed/Breed N, Morse B/N set). Just match them up with a higher output pickup in the bridge and equal or lesser in the neck...usually lesser.

And for F-spaced...you should use F-spaced in the bridge of a trem guitar for string spacing reasons, but it doesn't matter for the neck. It won't hurt either way in the neck. My guess is the ones on ebay are from banjomikez...he's local here and is a great guy to deal with...I've probably bought 30+ pickups from him. If you don't see the color combo you like, email him...he may have it (or can get it fairly quickly). He doesn't post everything as he stocks well over 1500 pickups at a time.
                Last edited by 6string40; 07-03-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I've heard some good things about the D-Sonic and Crunch Lab. I believe Mr. Petrucci uses a Crunch Lab, so it'd probably be a pretty safe bet for prog metal and the D-Sonic seems to be a pretty 'metal' pickup, from the sales pitch and all.
                  And D-Activators, weren't they just designed to be passive pickups which emulate actives? Pretty high gain type, probably not better than the Duncans for what you're after, and probably not the Crunch Lab or D-Sonic.
                  Sorry for wasting your time.
                  (insert signature here)

Comment

JPet used the D-Sonic before he helped design the Crunch Lab...

Comment

I think Megadeth used a JB for years.
                      Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X