Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good single coil sized neck pickup for Maiden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good single coil sized neck pickup for Maiden?

I'm reading that the they used to use the JB jr.?
    or is there a dimarzio that is a small size that is a paf?
    I can't find the fender pickup adrian smith is using in his new sign guitar except for in a set.
    FYI I don't like the SD cool rails(that's in the guitar now).
    AND please no bareknuckle suggestions, I WILL NOT pay that much for a pickup.

You can't even find the singles from the Adrian Smith in a set - they are not sold. They are Samarian Cobolt Hot Noiseless and they are killer.

Anyway - that's not really the "Maiden neck pickup sound" you want anyway. The neck pickup sound is Dave Murray's strat with the Dimarzio PAF at the neck. Grab a Dimarzio ProTrack for the neck position - its a single coil sized PAF sound. Modern Dave Murray neck position is all Duncan Hot Rail.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yup...the Pro Track is what you want

Comment

You can't even find the singles from the Adrian Smith in a set - they are not sold. They are Samarian Cobolt Hot Noiseless and they are killer.
        This isn't them?
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-3-White-S...item2a08317485
        The protrack was the one dimarzio that I was thinking of before I started this thread.

Comment

Nope - those are the regular Samarian Cobolt Noiseless. The Adrian comes with Hot Samarian Cobolt Noiseless to match the Super Distortion's output. There's one other Fender Strat that comes with the same pickups, but the model eludes me - I think its the CS Jeff Beck Strat, or somebody else.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

The Jeff Beck set is ceramic. I'd like to find a set of black covers for them - they're weird as far as the spacing from what I've heard, and the standard Fender covers don't fit anyway because they're taller.

Comment

Dimarzio covers should fit...they're a good bit taller than the Fender covers

Comment

There's something funky about the width of the pole pieces, too. Like, the bridge one is standard Strat spaced and the other two are narrower or something like that.

I might just replace them with something else, I'm sure I can do better than Fender pickups.

Comment

Might be 'vintage' spaced or something...I'm sure Fender has attempted marketing something goofy like that at some point. What guitar do you have them in? Lord knows I've tried damn near every Dimarzio pickup known to man and may be able to suggest something for you Jazzy. That is, if you care for my opinion!

Comment

We seem to like similar stuff from what I recall... They're in a Strat, 2-post "deluxe" style bridge. I like the tone of the pickups OK, just wanted to change up the look, but I'm not gonna spend $140 on another set of Fender Noiseless in black just to swap covers.

I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of vintage tone (without the noise) - I was thinking about doing a set of DiMarzios in it, but I also like the Duncan Classic Stacks.

Comment

Try a Duncan Cool Rails. Medium hot output, not too hot.

Comment

Try a Duncan Cool Rails. Medium hot output, not too hot.
                        First post I state I don't like the cool rails and that's what I'm pulling out of the guitar.

Comment

Rich, I think Shredder was talking to Jazzy!

We've already answered your question, so we've moved on to someone else's problems...consider your thread hijacked!
                          Last edited by 6string40; 07-04-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of vintage tone (without the noise) - I was thinking about doing a set of DiMarzios in it, but I also like the Duncan Classic Stacks.
                            Always been a fan of the Yngwie set...HS3 in the bridge, HS2 in the middle and HS4 (YJM) in the neck. Very nice combo whether you like Yngwie or not. I'd like to try some of the Area series pickups...they're about the only ones I haven't tried yet. They seem to work well for Paul Gilbert...then again, he could probably make just about anything sound good!

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                              Rich, I think Shredder was talking to Jazzy!

We've already answered your question, so we've moved on to someone else's problems...consider your thread hijacked!
                              +1. Don't be a thread-hog, Rich! ...Kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X