Yellowing Lacquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowing Lacquer

is there such a thing as a paint or chemical that removes the yellowing of the lacquer? my rhoads pro's lacquer has greatly yellowed to the point that the Jackson logo actually looks like YELLOW GREEN MOTHER OF PEARL The closeup picture with light makes it look pretty nice still, but in person the logo looks very dull and yellow greenish. Is there any chemical or whatever at all for this? i want the logo to look like the MOP of the frets like before again..

Last edited by leevan_lee; 06-25-2010, 08:18 AM.

You could try some rubbing compound, but that will only work if it's due to oxidation or surface contamination, and as I understand the issue, sunlight is what causes the problem on the older Jacksons, so, it's probably yellow all the way through. :dunno:

Comment

yep the type of poly that was used back then yellows with age.

Comment

I'd just leave it the way it is... it looks cool. Though, I've heard of people sanding the binding and having it go back to white/ivoroid.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't know of any ways to fix yellowing lacquer but what I can say is, the yellowing of your pro looks really nice. I prefer yellowing lacquer because to me it give the guitar character and makes it seem more like a seasoned warrior rather than a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
            I don't know of any ways to fix yellowing lacquer but what I can say is, the yellowing of your pro looks really nice. I prefer yellowing lacquer because to me it give the guitar character and makes it seem more like a seasoned warrior rather than a newbie.
            +100

Comment

I asked the guy repairing my Warrior Pro if he could make the binding look white again. I was told there is a limit as to how low you can sand before the binding winds up removed or feels rough compared to the lacquer on the neck (or both), so we agreed the binding would be left untouched.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I suggest leave it as it is, it looks cool (and from that pic looks like the guitar is in great condition for a 15+ year old guitar)

If you try to improve this and it turns out bad, you will hate yourself for it, espescially if this is one of your main players

Cheers

Comment

strip it, re-clear it with urethane and scrape the binding.

or, do the right thing and leave it alone.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I'd just leave it the way it is... it looks cool. Though, I've heard of people sanding the binding and having it go back to white/ivoroid.
                    I think that's only if they sand all of the clear off.

Yes LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

It gives the guitar a touch of class and elegance.

Comment

Yeah, I mean, look at all the guys spraying on yellow tinted clear...

Comment

I'll buy it off of you...that binding matches my teeth nicely.
                        Last edited by Axewielder; 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          I'll buy it off of you...that binding matches my teeth nicely.
                          Pure Gold...

or Pure Yellow

Comment

Maybe try some Colgate on it?
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hell yes it looks cool as is leave it alone.
                              Gives it the classy look of a vintage guitar.
                              Dick with it and it cuts the value in half.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X