Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to just have kill switch/output jack????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to just have kill switch/output jack????

So my next guitar i'm thinking on just having a kill switch wired up. No volume or tone pots. I'm new to kill switches and was curious if this could happen. If it can, does anybody know how it'd be wired?
    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Its possible, And you would solder your grounds from the P/U to the ground of the O/P jack and the hot from the P/U to one side of the switch and then a wire from the other side of the switch to the positive of the O/P jack.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
      Its possible, And you would solder your grounds from the P/U to the ground of the O/P jack and the hot from the P/U to one side of the switch and then a wire from the other side of the switch to the positive of the O/P jack.
      You want to make sure that the kill switch grounds the hot side in the "off" position. Otherwise you will get nasty hum.
      Last edited by J.C. Harrist; 06-23-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Here's a diagram:

Comment

Thanks a lot man!

so you solder the ground on the pickup to the ground coming from the bridge/claw?
          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

But talk to Newc before you do this, he ordered a custom shop with no controls (!) and found he did not like it
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by DeathThrashAttack View Post
              Thanks a lot man!

so you solder the ground on the pickup to the ground coming from the bridge/claw?
              As long as they connect somewhere. You could solder them both directly to the ground lug on the output or the switch as well.

Comment

I thnk I might of messed up and bought a kill switch that only shuts off when pushed down.

is there anyway to wire it up as an on/off or am i screwed?

heres a pic in case you guys were wondering which one i was/am going to use:

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

You bought a momentary switch ala Buckethead! I'd put that in WITH a volume knob. Sweet.

Comment

I thnk I might of messed up and bought a kill switch that only shuts off when pushed down.

is there anyway to wire it up as an on/off or am i screwed?
                    Yeah, that's a momentary switch. Has to be held down.

You can get some interesting effects with it but I think what you are looking for is a toggle switch.

Comment

I thnk I might have messed up
                      Fixed
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Anybody want to buy this switch for $7 shipped?? seriously.

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Anybody want to buy this switch for $7 shipped?? seriously.
                          buckethead.jpg

"I'll trade you a frickin huge pile of cold fried chicken for it!"

Comment

Working...
                          X