Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A theoretical possibility and SD Pickup comparison. Distortion vs Custom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A theoretical possibility and SD Pickup comparison. Distortion vs Custom.

Hello again, I am not flooding, Just not polluting the thread I posted a few minutes ago with a question that is entirely different.

As the previous thread about the bridge states, I am looking into another custom soloist soon.

I have a few possibilities in mind for the pickups, and I will likely put Bareknuckles in ANYWAY, but I would prefer that Jackson not put them in due to delays, price etc.

So I have gone to town once again looking at possible pickup combos. One that stuck in my head was a Duncan Distortion Bridge/Fullshred Neck.

I think there is potential for that combo to be really good, however I would also consider a Custom, thanks to the many people on here who gloriously wank it off.

So I have a dilemma. Does anyone have experience with these pups? I have had a Distortion and I liked it a lot. It is one of my fav. Duncan pups ATPIT. Anyone have feedback on my combo choice? The guitar in question is supposed to be a lean mean shred machine. I am not looking for vintage tones.
    I like EL34s.

I had a Full Shred bridge back in the 80s, and it's not what I consider "Shred" (i.e. high gain, smooth hammer-on/pull-off, etc). In fact it sounded (IIRC) a bit low-gain. Instead of doing scalar runs using all hammers/pulls, you had to pick whatever notes you wanted. While this is great for those with the picking hand of doom (picking sextuplets at 280BPM), it wasn't great for me.

Lots of people do like it over at the SD forum, though, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention it for the neck.

If you're going for Bareknuckles anyway, buy those and send them to the dealer to be installed by Jackson.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Kind of unrelated, but have you gotten covered Bare Knuckles? And if you have, does the paint flake off really easy? I just got my Holy Diver the other day and every time the bezel hits it when I try to install it, more paint flakes off.

Comment

itchy, I have not gotten a cover from them. Perhaps contact Tim with your issue?

Newc, I am open to try other pickups other than BKP at this point. I would like to experiment with the SDs that you guys hold in such high regard. I know you guys are a good base that will point me in the right direction, so I would like to try for a combo I really like instead of just jumping to Bareknuckles.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

RE: your custom Soloist...what wood are you using for the body/cap? That will probably be a determining factor in what pickups are recommended.

Comment

used to love the distortion until i discovered the custom. in comparison, the distortion is thinner sounding where the custom has a fuller tone.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have lots of guitars and lots of pickups. While you can look at specs like wood, how hot the pickup is, scale length, magnets, in the end, it still is trail and error. By looking at the specs, your chances of getting crap tone go down, but never all the way down.

Comment

I've tried an SH-6. It sounded kind of "dry" if such a word can be used. I've been recommended a TB-5, which my local dealer has
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  RE: your custom Soloist...what wood are you using for the body/cap? That will probably be a determining factor in what pickups are recommended.
                  My current Soloist is Ash with a maple top.

This soloist will likely be ash with no top.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Custom / Jazz for rounder neck tones.
                    Custom / 59 for brighter neck tones.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

So i'm assuming you are a Custom guy?

I am asking specifically on your thoughts regarding a Custom or Distiortion/full Shred combo.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

no experience with the full shred. but i know shredders the swear by the Jazz in the neck for fast soloing.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                          Custom / Jazz for rounder neck tones.
                          Custom / 59 for brighter neck tones.
                          '59 for brighter? I've always found the Jazz brighter and cleaner than the '59. The '59 is slightly scooped in the mids and a little warmer, can sometimes get a little muddy.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            '59 for brighter? I've always found the Jazz brighter and cleaner than the '59. The '59 is slightly scooped in the mids and a little warmer, can sometimes get a little muddy.
                            This was my experience as well.
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by itchy View Post
                              Kind of unrelated, but have you gotten covered Bare Knuckles? And if you have, does the paint flake off really easy? I just got my Holy Diver the other day and every time the bezel hits it when I try to install it, more paint flakes off.
                              I have a distressed camo covered Nailbomb and have no issues with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X