Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement Pickup: Are my height adjustment springs too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Pickup: Are my height adjustment springs too long?

Or am I just a dumbass?

This is my first time replacing a pickup, but I figured it would be a piece of cake. Just soldering a couple spots and being done with it. But NO, I can't even get the damn pickup and the bezel together!

My replacement pickup is a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver (which, btw, has paint flaking off the cover like no one's business, also pissing me off.) I got a 1/4 inch leg and the spring is 1 3/4" Now, I understand that there has to be some tension but its impossible to fit the springs between the pickup leg and the bezel like so: http://www.pickuprings.com/installation_

If I really try, I can get the spring short enough to be clear of the end of the height adjustment screw, but I'm so busy holding the spring, I can't get the screw through the hole in the pickup leg.

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Sounds right to me. Sometimes they are a pain in the ass.

Maybe the BKP is relic'ing before your eyes?

Comment

If its relic'ing this fast, I would hate to see it in 20 years!

And by "sounds right" do you mean that it sounds like the springs are too long or that it sounds like I'm just having a hard time? Because I'm suspecting that they sent me springs for a 1/2" leg.

Comment

Yes, youre doing it right but sometimes they are a pain. Try putting the screw through the bezel first and then putting the spring over the screw, then while having a screw driver in the head of the screw try turning the screw while trying to put the p/u on the end of the screw. This works for me when I get springs that are on the rather long side. Also, you could cheat and cut the spring till its just short of the length of the screw while through the bezel. It will make it easy to manage and still allow enough tension once the screw is started.
        Last edited by Twitch; 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

OK. Thanks for that. I'll give it a shot in the morning.

Comment

The springs are usually more than long enough...you should be able to trim away a little bit, but you definitely want tension, so just be careful you don't cut off too much.

It will get better over time...I remember the first time or two I replaced pickups...just when I thought I was close, the damn things kept slipping and I was shooting springs across the fucking room like it was the 4th of July! I was beginning to believe you had to wear safety goggles just to attach pickups to the bezels!

Comment

That sounds about right!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                Yes, youre doing it right but sometimes they are a pain. Try putting the screw through the bezel first and then putting the spring over the screw, then while having a screw driver in the head of the screw try turning the screw while trying to put the p/u on the end of the screw. This works for me when I get springs that are on the rather long side. Also, you could cheat and cut the spring till its just short of the length of the screw while through the bezel. It will make it easy to manage and still allow enough tension once the screw is started.
                Easiest way to do it, imo.

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                The springs are usually more than long enough...you should be able to trim away a little bit, but you definitely want tension, so just be careful you don't cut off too much.
                Yeah, if it's obvious that the spring is way longer than it needs to be, I cut them down as well. I know the spring launching feeling all too well!

Sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The wife got pretty pissed when I was installing one at the kitchen bar and it flew off and hit her in the cheek while she was cooking.... Get safety glasses for everyone within shooting distance.. lol
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Haha, same thing happened to me yesterday, but I was in the garage, so no collateral damage here

Those springs can be a pain in the ass...

Comment

Working...
                    X