Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick up output help?

Good morning,
    On my quest for a certain tone. I have installed a Dimarzio Evo humbucker at the bridge and a Duncan hot rail at the neck position. I am impressed with the overall sound quality. But I do not feel either of these pickups are what I expected. I thought it may have been my amp that was letting me down. But I recently, plugged in a Ibanez with stock pickups. It sounded pretty good. Better than my Performer PS2. Has anyone tried this combination? I feel that even tho this is a lower end guitar, with these pickups I would expect to sound better than said Ibanez. It is just about impossible to make it squeal with the pitch(pinch) harmonics. I am like 99% sure I wired them up for the hottest output. The sound quality is there, just not the output. Any help would be appreciated.

Don't judge the output by pinch harmonics and stuff... Test it clean, see how much actual output you get from the pickup. Did you follow DiMarzio's wiring instructions? The different manufacturers have different color-coding, so if you didn't specifically use the DiMarzio hook-up diagram you might have done something wrong.

Comment

Evolutions have crazy harmonics... On my So-Cal the neck one had them flying out.

The neck one!

Keep in mind, The evolutions aren't the hottest pickups around.

If you want total annihilation you are looking at an X2N or Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker Distortion.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

I am almost 100 percent sure they are wired the right way. I have tested them clean. Tone wise they are outstanding, but they just don't sound as hot as I would like. They don't sound as hot as factory Ibanez pickups. That doesn't seem right to me. I may have to bite the bullet and have a "geetar tech" take a look if I can't get it sorted out.

Comment

Move them closer to the strings if you want more output. Don't move them too close though, or it will kill your sustain.
          Scott

Comment

i have an ibanez s 470 that i took the stock bridge pickup out of and replaced it with a dimarzio evolution. the evolution screams. harmonics like crazy but it is definetly not as loud as the stock pickup was. sounds alot better though. i decided to sell the ibanez but im keeping the evolution for my jackson project guitar
            subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
            www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Comment

Working...
            X