Give me the skinny on blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me the skinny on blackouts

I have an ahb-2 and I really like it. How do the ahb-1 and the ahb-3 (emty) compair to the ahb-2.

Thanks

I have tried the AHB-1 in my Horizon.

Urgh...Didn't really like it. It's VERY hot. It has a distinct "Fizziness" to it that I disliked. It is a VERY organic sounding pup, but somehow retains that "active" feel.

It's less bassy than most EMGs.

Some people love it and some hate it. I certainly fall into the latter catagory.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

I have the AHB-1, and so far I LOVE IT!..
      In my ears it has a great sound, but that is my opinion

Comment

I have the AHB-1 in the bridge of a Fusion HH with a pro neck and mahogany body. Its in my avatar. The AHB-1 is great to me. It has lots of bass. Just not as tight as an 81. I don't use the jumper for more output since I never got one with my pickup. I have a Mustaine neck that does not balance well since it does not drop as low z as the Blackout. I am replacing them with EMTY's as soon as I get a chance. I just wish the mustaines were updated to blackout impedence and balancing. Not any better then EMG's, Just different.
        An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
        A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

I like my blackouts in my Charvel Model 5. I don't find them as sizzly as some but maybe that's the rosewood fingerboard? They are, as mentioned very high output. Expect to lower the gain on your clean channel with them or you will get break up. This pickup excels at root/5th power chords played through a modern (JCM-800 or later) marshall style amp. That perfect chainsaw snarl.

More complex chords with higher gain settings can overwhelm the amp and create just a wall of blooming distortion. Maybe thats the sizzle people are talking about. I just lower the gain and/or volume level to clean that up.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
          X