Loose strap buttons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose strap buttons...

How to fix this? I can not use a larger screw as those strap buttons are Schaller lock type. The screw is actually spinning loose when I try to tighten it.

I tought of using glue and some small wood pieces I would put into the hole (like small tooth pick sections).

Thanks for the help.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

three options i would try:
    1. Use a larger screw, you will have to drill out the straplock part to suit the larger screw
    2. drill the hole in the guitar out a bit, glue a dowell in (the dowell will have to be tight to the hole otherwise you risk pulling the dowell out, then re-drill a smaller hole to suit the straplock screw
    3. use a longer screw, this may not be possible, espescially if the screw hole is on the back of the neck like on a rhoads/king v, should work on a soloist/dinky/strat type body

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
      three options i would try:
      1. Use a larger screw, you will have to drill out the straplock part to suit the larger screw
      Used this strategy with succes
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I guess it depends how much too big the hole is. But I use matchsticks - stick 'em in the hole, break off what's left outside and put the screw in. I've done this loads including on guitars I gig with. I've never glued the matches in and I've NEVER had them pull out. I am paranoid enough to make sure the 'head' of the match is the bit I break off though - don't want my guitar going up in flames
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Keep it simple. Toothpicks or wooden matchsticks w/ glue will work just fine.

Comment

This happened on a guitar I put together for my brother in law. I filled around the edge of the hole with glue and rounded toothpicks, leaving the center free, and let it cure overnight. The next day I used an x-acto knife to trim the toothpicks to near even with the body. The toothpicks added plenty of wood for the screw to bite into and the expansion of the toothpicks and glue by the screw made exerything super tight and secure. Just make sure the glue is fully dry before proceeding for the best bond.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Toothpicks. Glue. Faggadaboudit.

Comment

+8^^^, dont even really need the glue. The tension will be enough.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

You guys rock! Nice lil' weekend project! Thanks a lot!
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                  X