Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to have a new nut cut for my SLSMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to have a new nut cut for my SLSMG?

My SLSMG is my main guitar. I've done alot of work on it (almost nothing is stock) and it plays beautifully with lighter strings (50-11 in D standard and lighter gauges for higher tunings). The problem is is that now I tune to C# standard and with heavier strings (This set http://www.juststrings.com/drs-sal-10.html) it gets all sorts of buzz on the first few frets in addition to not being able to keep tune that well.
    The only things I'm not comfortable doing myself (tech wise) is fretwork and filing a new nut. I had a tech do a setup with the 50-11 about a half year ago and he gave a clean bill of health for the frets, said they were in great condition and all was level. So I'm presuming the problem is that I need a new nut cut for this gauge of strings. The problem now is that there are no techs in the jackson area (The tech i took it too was in bozeman when I was attending college there) and I don't want to ship it off because a)its my only guitar at the moment b)I don't want to pay that much to ship two ways and risk getting my guitar damaged in shipping.
    I don't know alot about nuts but everyone says its best to have the actual guitar in their hands to install the nut and adjust from there. I don't really have the option of having a tech do that since I don't want to ship my guitar off. So I figured since that I would contact a shop online and get them to make me a custom nut for those gauges of strings and ship it to me, since I'm comfortable aligning the nut and gluing it in myself. It seems like there ate alot of shops that have slsmgs/jacksons in stock so maybe they could just take the measurements form one they have in stock and make me a custom nut. Would the end result of this be close to if they had the actual guitar in their hands at the time of nut making?

Also-
    -What would be a good,reputable shop to do this? I'm willing to pay for high quality
    -What material is the best for nuts on guitars like the SLSMG?

Thanks,
    Garrett

11-50 do C# fine. I use them for both D and C#.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

If you are getting a new nut, i'd def. go with bone over graphite.

IDK why, I've just always had bone. Search me when it comes to actual advantages over graphite...
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Buy a nut file and do it yourself.That is what I would do.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've never had a nut job done (someone is def. gunna make a joke about that statement)

But I would probably do it myself as well. if you fuck it up, just do what you were originally going to do and buy a new nut.

I know my ESP has never had a file and it has .013 - .062 on it. so IDK what is happening here. A .056 isn't that thick.

Other solution is to bite the bullet and keep the .011 to .050 or .011 to .052 for C# and fuck the heavier strings. hell, I wouldn't use .010s for C#, and that set has a .010 on top.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
          I've never had a nut job done (someone is def. gunna make a joke about that statement)

But I would probably do it myself as well. if you fuck it up, just do what you were originally going to do and buy a new nut.

I know my ESP has never had a file and it has .013 - .062 on it. so IDK what is happening here. A .056 isn't that thick.

Other solution is to bite the bullet and keep the .011 to .050 or .011 to .052 for C# and fuck the heavier strings. hell, I wouldn't use .010s for C#, and that set has a .010 on top.
          Well, here it is, I am a nut job and the best place to have a nut cut is at the nut store. Just my .2
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

NUT JOB
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

plon can make you one. he's a member here.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I was referring to nut as in male anatomy. I was expecting horns666 top be on that one like a fly on shit.

But bravo.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                X