Model 3 re-fret a waste or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3 re-fret a waste or not?

I had some new parts in storage for the past 18 years (carvin floyd rose, gotoh tuners, emg 89-sa-sa etc). So I bought a used 87 Charvel Model 3 body and neck for about $60 and put everything together.
    Now, I absolutely love the feel of this neck. The bad thing is that there is a very slight twist in it (I think) and the action is quite high from 11th-22nd fret.
    The shop said that a re-leveling might help alot but Im thinking of re-fretting
    it with stainless steels.
    Since I only have approx <$100 into the guitar so far, would it be a waste to spend $450+ on a refret?

If the necks got a twist to it and only has a single truss rod, which Im sure it does Ive only seen dual truss rods on 5 and 6 string basses then the neck is unfortunately SHOT. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. As far as a re-fret if you had a good neck being worth it, as far as resale goes, not really, as far as you really like the guitar then if you have the money, go for it.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

If it's twisted don't bother.

Comment

Thanks Twitch, that answers my question. Good thing is that I have two of these necks and the other as far as I can tell does not have any twist but the frets have serious wear. Looks like Ill be refretting that one then. Not really looking for any resale since it pretty much is a mutt of parts, just playability.

Comment

If people are getting $450 for SS refrets, my day got a lot happier. I'd have the twist confirmed, tho.

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

OP - I'd ditch the neck and troll the 'bay for a new neck - you can get a new ProMod neck for less than the cost of the refret.

Sully - Refrets in NYC are $400 with regular wire.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

yeah i'd hit up the bay man. you can easily buy a used USA neck for half of a refret so i'd guess you could find a used model neck for less than that. i thought i saw one on there yesterday. necks are like truth. it aint worth a shit if its twisted.

Comment

Working...
              X