Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kahler Spyder saddles - anyone ever rebuild them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Spyder saddles - anyone ever rebuild them?

I have a couple of spyders and both have messed up saddles (wont go up and down for fine tuning). I've taken it apart enough to find the problem - there is a tiny spring that came dis-engaged and needs to be put back in it's place.

The issue - there is a pressed pin (the pivot point) holding the saddle together.

Any advise on taking apart and rebuilding these saddles? I tried pounding the pin out but it was taking too much pressure. I think I need a drill press or something.

Also, where to find a missing tiny spring? One saddle lost it's spring.

Already went to whammiworld and KahlerUSA - no luck other than buying a new saddle.

Ive seen people replace the spider saddles with OFR saddles and Ive had one like that. It worked. As far as the springs, Im not familiar with that aspect of it.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

That sort of works.

Try this. If you have a Spyder, try pushing down on the saddles on the rear locking bolt. See if you can press down and it "springs" back up.

If you look at a Floyd upside down, it has a metal spring plate that pushes up on the saddles, keeping them firm against the fine tuner screws.

The Spyder solution puts a small spring inside of each saddle. When this spring comes out of it's socket, it jams the saddle in the "up" position. The fine tuners can't "screw in" to adjust the tuning higher, and you can't "press down" on the locking bolt. The saddle is stiff and locked up.

Do either systems need these springs? I don't know. You would think the pull of the strings would pull the saddles up firm against the adjustment screw, but maybe not.
      Last edited by DonP; 06-03-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X