Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perfect setup.

Call me a gear nerd, but whatever.

I didn't go into work today as I decided that today would be a good day to setup some guitars and do some stuff I have been meaning to do for a while (I own a Custom PC business, people were at the shop)

So I decided to dedicate most of the morning to my Custom Shop soloist (tobacco sunburst, TOM bridge, Bareknuckle pickups, Abalone sharkies, ebony fingerboard, Maple neck, flamed maple top, ash body) [And posting on here ]

After oiling the fretboard, polishing the body, and restringing with DR 0.11-0.50 Tite Fits (awesome strings), I intonated it with a strobe tuner (tuned one-step down in D standard) and let it sit while I worked on my So-Cal.

After an hour or so, and a few cups of coffee, washed up, let the SL2H-MAH sit, and played the Soloist.

WOW. I fell in love with this guitar again. Played like I remembered, sounded incredible, and blew my mind.

Which raises a question

Have you ever experienced this? Where you set up a guitar and it blows your mind all over again?

I sure did
    I like EL34s.

Short answer: yes.

Do you have a recommendation on a strobe tuner? I've been looking at several models, not sure how much I have to pay to get a quality one.
    I only need one more guitar.

Comment

I love my Peterson VS-F.

Comment

yeah I used a peterson Strobo-stomp

It's a pedal.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

you're a gear nerd :p

to answer your question: yes

I can't count the number of times a guitar that has fallen out of favour has become my new favourite after a proper cleaning & setup. And everytime I vow to spend more time regularly maintaining my guitars to keep them playing as nice. And of course, I never do
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Just happened to me recently as I've begun to start learning about guitar setups and doing them myself. I bought my first soloist (SLSMG) a few months back and I felt like my old $400 DXMGT was obsolete compared to the Soloist. A week or two ago, I did some work on the DXMGT, mainly just messing with the action to try and get its playability closer to my Soloist. The DXMGT now plays better than it ever did and has been bringing a smile to my face again when I've been playing it.

Comment

Working...
            X