Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to shim my high e on schaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to shim my high e on schaller?

Is that what you do when just on string sits lower on the trem do you just shim it under the saddle? it donent realy bother me bout I just have to lower the pick up on the treble side. And they are emg's so they work best when raised up right on the strings.
    2009 black sl1 usa
    fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
    Burgundy mist model 3
    black model 1 emg
    black model 3 h/s/s
    2005 pointy charvel
    2009 black rr1

The fretboard of your neck is radiused or "crowned", whereas the pickup is flat. To compensate for the radius on the neck, the trem is usually radiused as well, which puts the stringgs at different heights - higher in the middle, and lower at the edges. If you shim the saddle (which you can), you may not like what it does to the action - i.e, you'll have strings at varying heights off the fret board.

Pickups don't need to be level to work correctly, hence the reason for screws on either side. Also, we're talking millimeters of difference, and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference sonically anyway. Only visually.
    Last edited by chrisolson; 05-29-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I think he may have gotten a saddle that's a bit lower than it should be, or the trem is at an angle.

But as long as the high E isn't plinking or fretting out, or that string isn't so low to the board that the others have to be higher and not evenly radiused, there should be no trouble.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It donsent fret out unless you bend it at the 15th and then use the trem bar, action is low. If it begans to bug me how do I raise that one string
        2009 black sl1 usa
        Burgundy mist model 3
        black model 1 emg
        black model 3 h/s/s
        2005 pointy charvel
        2009 black rr1

Comment

Originally posted by djford View Post
          It donsent fret out unless you bend it at the 15th and then use the trem bar, action is low. If it begans to bug me how do I raise that one string
          Easy fix, shim it! What's a shim? A thin piece of metal (shim stock) which you can cut to the shape of the saddle and place between the saddle and the trem base. They actually sell these online, but they're easy to make. Brass shim stock is more malleable and easier to work with. Although, the easiest stuff I've found is brake shims found in auto supply store. They're metal, but have an adhesive backing, so they stick well to the saddle that you're working with.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

How thick do I need for a starting point
            2009 black sl1 usa
            Burgundy mist model 3
            black model 1 emg
            black model 3 h/s/s
            2005 pointy charvel
            2009 black rr1

Comment

Working...
            X